Electrotechnical - level 3 apprenticeship framework

This framework sets out the standards and criteria you must meet to complete the apprenticeship programme and receive your apprenticeship certificate for level 3 electrotechnical. This is the only level 3 training in this skill acceptable for apprenticeshipsni funding.

About the framework

The framework specifies the standards and the criteria for the delivery of a level 3 apprenticeship framework to achieve qualified status within the electrotechnical industry.

Successful completion of the framework will lead to the award of a level 3 qualification showing recognition as a qualified person within the industry.   

Mandatory outcomes

Achievement of a level 3 apprenticeship in electrotechnical will be assessed by verification through the appropriate awarding body. You must complete a combined competence and knowledge based qualification from one of the pathways provided.

Mandatory essential skills

The following essential skills are mandatory and are to be completed as part of the apprenticeship:

  • information and communication technology (ICT) – level 2

However, any qualifications you already have are assessed against the framework requirements and may result in an exemption from the above.

Competency and knowledge qualifications

You need to complete both a competency-based and a knowledge-based qualification, chosen from the lists below.

Competence-based qualifications (one from the following):

Knowledge-based qualification (one from the following):

In addition, you must complete the AM2S (industry qualification).

Eligibility and entry requirements

You must be employed and have achieved a minimum of grade C in both GCSE maths and English or their equivalent, and be assessed by the training contractor and employer as having the aptitude and ability to successfully complete the apprenticeship.

Employment is at the discretion of the employer who may have specific expectations in terms of medical/physical requirements. In particular, it is recommended that you visit an optician for a colour blindness test, the result of which may determine your ability to do the job.

See also the Department for the Economy's apprenticeship guidelines and operational requirements.


Apprenticeship duration can vary and will be agreed between the apprentice, training contractor and employer.


The quality assurance aspect of assessment is the responsibility of the awarding organisations – city and guilds and EAL.

In general, evidence of competence (skills) must come from the workplace or a realistic working environment (RWE) and may be gathered into a single portfolio in hard or soft copy. This portfolio will then be assessed by a qualified assessor and then subject to the QA systems of the awarding organisation.

Evidence of knowledge may be identified during the practical assignments and/ or through formal assessment by online, on-demand testing using multiple-choice questions (e-assessment).

The AM2S end test is a synoptic practical/ knowledge assessment. This single common assessment is externally set and marked by an independent body within an independent assessment structure.

The AM2S electrotechnical end point assessment is designed for those who wish to practise either as an installation electrician, or as a maintenance electrician.

It shows you have the level of competence expected by the industry in the following key occupational areas:

  • risk assessments and health and safety
  • safe isolation
  • the interpretation of specifications, drawings and diagrams
  • planning and preparing to install, terminate and connect identified wiring systems
  • installing, terminating and connecting identified wiring systems
  • inspection, testing and certification
  • fault diagnosis and correction of electrical faults
  • the understanding and application of industry recognised procedures, working practices and the requirements of statutory and non-statutory regulations

In line with the installation specification and the relevant statutory and non-statutory regulations, you'll be expected to install, terminate, connect, inspect, test and commission:

  • a three-phase distribution board and sub-circuit
  • a three-phase direct-on-line motor circuit
  • single phase lighting and power circuits
  • a central heating/sustainable energy system
  • a safety services circuit and device
  • a data-cabling system

The assessment is in five sections:

  • section a - composite installation
  • section b - inspection and testing of the completed composite installation
  • section c - safe isolation
  • section d - fault diagnosis and rectification
  • section e - assessment of applied knowledge


You may need to satisfy the requirements of the electrotechnical certification scheme (ECS) or equivalent card scheme.

The ECS is the occupational card scheme for UK electrotechnical workers.

Whether you're a technically qualified manager or a trainee electrician, you'll need a valid ECS card which proves your competence to industry standards. You must hold a current ECS (or equivalent) card to get onto specific work sites and carry out electrical work.

You may, on successful completion of all Framework components, have generated enough work-based evidence to support an application for eng tech status with the engineering council.

Related knowledge

You must be given mandatory induction. Employee rights and responsibilities (ERR) must be covered and confirmation of completing ERR must be included with the request for the apprenticeship certificate.


It is the responsibility of the training contractor/ college to make sure that the requirements of this framework are delivered in line with DfE apprenticeship guidelines and operational requirements.

Further information

The content of this framework (framework no 342 and issue no 11: 8/20.) has been developed between the Department for the Economy and the Built Environment Sectoral Partnership (working with the Building Services  Engineering (BSE) Skills Limited).

For further information, contact:

Level 3 apprenticeship frameworks

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to anglingcorrespondence@daera-ni.gov.uk 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 
Email dcs.incomingpostteamdhc2@nissa.gsi.gov.uk

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to bluebadges@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email ani@accessni.gov.uk

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to ema_ni@slc.co.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email gro_nisra@finance-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email dcu@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

If you can’t find the information you’re looking for in the Coronavirus (COVID-19) section, then for queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.