About the framework
This framework specifies the standards and the criteria for the delivery of level 3 apprenticeship training to achieve qualified status within the hair and beauty sector.
Successful completion of the apprenticeship will lead to the award of a level 3 qualification and recognition as a qualified spa therapist within the sector.
Achievement of a level 3 apprenticeship in spa therapy will be assessed by verification through the appropriate awarding body.
You must complete a combined competence and knowledge-based qualification, along with the mandatory essential skills qualifications.
Mandatory essential skills
To successfully complete the apprenticeship, you must achieve the following essential skills qualifications as part of the apprenticeship, or already hold a recognised equivalent:
- application of number – level 2
- communication – level 2
- information and communication technology – level 1
However, any qualifications you already have are assessed against the framework requirements and may result in an exemption from the above.
Competence and knowledge qualifications
You need to complete a combined competence and knowledge-based qualification, from the list below.
Combined competence-based and knowledge-based qualification:
- City & Guilds Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Spa Therapy 500/8758/7
- VTCT (ITEC) Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Spa Therapy 501/1431/1
- VTCT Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Spa Therapy 500/8881/6
Eligibility and entry to the programme
You must be a new employee, or an existing employee taking on a new role to take part in the programme.
Entry to the level 3 apprenticeship is by progression from any apprenticeshipsni level 2 framework in the hair and beauty occupational area. Employers may also apply their own criteria at the recruitment stage.
You may also enter the level 3 apprenticeship, subject to assessment by the training contractor and employer, if you:
- have already gained significant work experience in your occupational area, which could be considered as meeting the requirements of a level 2 framework in the hair and beauty occupational area and can show the capacity to achieve a level 3 standard
- have previously achieved a relevant level 2 recognised vocational qualification that is a mandatory requirement of a Level 2 framework in the hair and beauty occupational area
See also the DfE operational requirements.
Apprenticeship duration can vary and will be agreed between the apprentice, training contractor and employer.
For this framework, the participant is required to complete a suitable employee rights and responsibilities (ERR) workbook. Framework certification is issued on confirmation from the training contractor that the ERR has been completed.
It is the responsibility of the training contractor/college to ensure that all components of this framework are delivered in accordance with apprenticeshipsni operational requirements.
The apprentice must be employed from day one.
The content of this framework (Framework No 426 Issue 3: 06/19) has been agreed by the Department for the Economy. For further information, contact: