Providing financial services - level 3 apprenticeship framework
This framework sets out the standards and criteria you must meet to complete the apprenticeship programme and receive your apprenticeship certificate for level three providing financial services. This is the only level 3 training in this skill acceptable for apprenticeshipsni funding.
About the framework
This framework specifies the standards and the criteria for the delivery of level 3 apprenticeship training to achieve qualified status within the financial services industry.
If you successfully complete the apprenticeship, you'll be awarded a level 3 qualification and recognition as a qualified person within the industry sector.
Achievement of a level 3 apprenticeship in providing financial services will be assessed by verification through the appropriate awarding body.
You must complete both the competence-based and knowledge-based qualification, along with the mandatory essential skills qualifications.
Mandatory essential skills
To successfully complete the apprenticeship, you must achieve the following essential skills qualifications as part of the apprenticeship, or already hold a recognised equivalent:
- application of number – level 2
- communication – level 2
- information and communication technology – level 2
However, any qualifications you already have are assessed against the framework requirements and may result in an exemption from the above.
Competency and knowledge qualifications
You need to complete both a competency-based qualification from the list below, and a knowledge-based qualification from the list relevant to your chosen specialism. Areas of specialism are listed further below.
- City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate in Providing Financial Services 600/1639/5
- iCQ Level 3 Certificate in Providing Financial Services 600/8222/7
- BIIAB Level 3 Certificate in Providing Financial Services 601/6965/5
- Highfield Level 3 Certificate in Providing Financial Services 601/7879/6
Knowledge-based qualification (brackets indicate which specialism the qualification is suitable for):
- City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate in Customer Service 500/6206/2 (all)
- iCQ Level 3 Certificate in Customer Service 600/3424/5 (all)
- LIBF Level 3 Certificate in Financial Studies 600/8537/X (all)
- LIBF Level 3 Diploma in Financial Studies 600/8551/4 (all)
- Cll Level 3 Certificate in Financial Services 601/8358/5 (all)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 Certificate in Principles of Customer Service 601/5399/4 (all)
- BIIAB Level 3 Certificate in Customer Service 601/6883/3 (all)
- Highfield Level 3 Certificate in Customer Service 600/5471/2 (all)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 Certificate in Insurance Claims Handling 600/3504/3 (1,4,5,9)
- CII Level 3 Certificate in Insurance 600/0496/4 (1,5,9)
- CII Level 3 Award in London Market Insurance 500/9901/2 (1,5)
- CISI Certificate in Investment Operations 600/0715/1 (2,5)
- LIBF Level 3 Certificate in Mortgage Advice and Practice 501/0629/6 (3,4,8)
- CII Level 3 Certificate in Mortgage Advice 600/1142/7 (3,4,8)
- CII Level 3 Award in Financial Administration 600/1151/8 (3,5,6,8)
- LIBF Level 3 Certificate in Regulated Equity Release 501/0630/2 (4,8)
- CII Level 3 Certificate in Equity Release 600/1143/9 (5,8)
- Cll Level 3 Certificate in Investment Operations 600/9430/8 (5)
- general insurance
- investment operations
- banking (delivered only in retail banking context)
- financing and credit
- life, pensions and investments
- pensions administration
- debt collections
- administration for mortgage and/or financial planning intermediaries
- customer payments for financial products and services
Eligibility and entry to the programme
You must be a new employee, or an existing employee taking on a new role to take part in the programme.
Entry to the level 3 apprenticeship is by progression from the apprenticeshipsni level 2 framework in providing financial services. Employers may apply their own criteria at the recruitment stage.
You may also enter the level 3 apprenticeship, subject to assessment by the training contractor and employer, if you:
- have already gained significant work experience in your occupational area, which could be considered as meeting the requirements of the level 2 providing financial services framework and can show the capacity to achieve a level 3 standard
- have previously achieved a relevant level 2 recognised vocational qualification that is a mandatory requirement of the Level 2 apprenticeshipsni providing financial services framework
See also the DfE operational requirements.
Apprenticeship duration can vary and will be agreed between the apprentice, training contractor and employer.
For this framework, you must complete a suitable employee rights and responsibilities (ERR) workbook. Framework certification is issued on confirmation from the training contractor that the ERR has been completed.
It is the responsibility of the training contractor/ college to make sure all components of this framework are delivered in line with apprenticeshipsni operational requirements.
The apprentice must be employed from day one.
The content of this framework (Framework No 343 Issue 13: 03/22) has been agreed by the Department for the Economy.
For further information, contact: