IT user - level 3 apprenticeship framework
This framework sets out the standards and criteria you must meet to complete the apprenticeship programme and receive your apprenticeship certificate for level three IT user. This is the only level 3 training in this skill acceptable for apprenticeshipsni funding.
About the framework
This framework specifies the standards and the criteria for the delivery of level 3 apprenticeship training to achieve qualified status within the business and information technology sector.
If you successful complete the apprenticeship you'll be awarded a level 3 qualification and be recognised as a qualified person within the industry sector.
Achievement of a level 3 IT user apprenticeship will be assessed by verification through the appropriate awarding body.
You must complete a competence and knowledge-based qualification, along with the mandatory essential skills qualifications.
Mandatory essential skills
To successfully complete the apprenticeship, you must achieve the following essential skills qualifications as part of the apprenticeship, or already hold a recognised equivalent:
- application of number – level 2
- communication – level 2
However, any qualifications you already have are assessed against the framework requirements and may result in an exemption from the above.
Combined competency and knowledge qualifications
Apprentices need to complete both a combined competency-based and knowledge-based qualification, from the list below.
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 Diploma in IT User Skills (ITQ) 600/1634/6
- City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma in IT User Skills 600/0994/9
- ProQual Level 3 Diploma in IT User Skills 601/3442/2
- BIIAB Level 3 Diploma in IT User Skills (ITQ) 601/6466/9
- iCQ Level 3 Diploma for IT Users (ITQ) (RQF) 601/8004/3
Eligibility and entry to the programme
You must be a new employee, or an existing employee taking on a new role to take part in the programme.
Entry to the level 3 apprenticeship is by progression from the apprenticeshipsni level 2 framework in IT user. Employers may also apply their own criteria at the recruitment stage.
You may also enter the level 3 apprenticeship, subject to assessment by the training contractor and employer, if you've:
- already gained significant work experience in your occupational area, which could be considered as meeting the requirements of the level 2 IT user framework and can show you can achieve a level 3 standard
- previously achieved a relevant level 2 recognised vocational qualification that is a mandatory requirement of the Level 2 apprenticeshipsni IT user framework
See also the DfE operational requirements.
For this framework, the participant is required to complete a suitable employee rights and responsibilities (ERR) workbook. Framework certification is issued on confirmation from training suppliers that the ERR has been completed.
It'sf the training contractor/ college's responsibility to make sure all components of this framework are delivered in line with apprenticeshipsni operational requirements.
The apprentice must be employed from day one.
The content of this framework (Framework No 341 Issue 08: 09/20) has been agreed by the Department for the Economy.
For further information, contact: