Customer service - level 3 apprenticeship framework
This framework sets out the standards and criteria you must meet to complete the apprenticeship programme and receive your apprenticeship certificate for level three customer service. This is the only level 3 training in this skill acceptable for apprenticeshipsni funding.
About the framework
This framework specifies the standards and the criteria for the delivery of level 3 apprenticeship training to achieve qualified status within the customer service sector.
If you successfully complete the apprenticeship, you'll gain a level 3 qualification and recognition as a qualified person within the industry.
Achievement of a level 3 apprenticeship in customer service will be assessed by verification through the appropriate awarding body.
You must complete a combined competence-based and knowledge-based qualification, along with the mandatory essential skills qualifications.
Mandatory essential skills
To successfully complete the apprenticeship, you must achieve the following essential skills qualifications as part of the apprenticeship, or already hold a recognised equivalent:
- application of number – level 2
- communication – level 2
- information and communication technology – level 2
Any qualifications you already have are assessed against the framework requirements and may result in an exemption from the above.
Competency and knowledge qualifications
You must complete a combined competency and knowledge-based qualification, chosen from the list below.
Combined competence and knowledge based qualification:
- Active IQ Diploma in Customer Service 601/3545/1
- BIIAB Diploma in Customer Service 601/3735/6
- City & Guilds Diploma in Customer Service 601/3564/5
- Highfield Diploma in Customer Service 601/4027/6
- iCQ Diploma in Customer Service 601/3687/X
- IMI Diploma in Customer Service 601/3457/4
- NOCN Diploma in Customer Service 601/4419/1
- Pearson BTEC Diploma in Customer Service 601/3478/1
- ProQual Diploma in Customer Service 601/3577/3
Eligibility and entry to the programme
You must be a new employee, or an existing employee taking on a new role to take part in the programme.
Employers may apply their own criteria at the recruitment stage.
Entry to the level 3 apprenticeship is by progression from the apprenticeshipsni level 2 framework in customer service.
You may also enter the level 3 apprenticeship, subject to assessment by the training contractor and employer, if you've:
- already gained significant work experience in your occupational area, which could be considered as meeting the requirements of the level 2 customer service framework and can show you can achieve a level 3 standard
- previously achieved a relevant level 2 recognised vocational qualification that is a mandatory requirement of the Level 2 apprenticeshipsni customer service framework
See also the DfE operational requirements.
Apprenticeship duration can vary and will be agreed between the apprentice, training contractor and employer.
You must complete a suitable employee rights and responsibilities (ERR) workbook for this framework. Framework certification is issued on confirmation from training suppliers that the ERR has been completed.
It's the training contractor /college's responsibility to make sure all components of this framework are delivered in line with apprenticeshipsni operational requirements.
The apprentice must be employed from day one.
The content of this framework (Framework No 396 Issue 11: 03/22) has been agreed by the Department for the Economy.
For more information, contact: