About the framework
This framework specifies the standards and the criteria for the delivery of level 3 apprenticeship training to achieve qualified status within the animal care industry.
Successful completion of the apprenticeship will lead to the award of a level 3 qualification and recognition as a qualified person within the sector.
Achievement of a level 3 apprenticeship in animal care will be assessed by verification through the appropriate awarding body.
You must complete a competence-based qualification, along with the mandatory essential skills qualifications.
Mandatory essential skills
To successfully complete the apprenticeship, you must achieve the following essential skills qualifications as part of the apprenticeship, or already hold a recognised equivalent:
- application of number – level 2
- communication – level 2
However, any qualifications you already have are assessed against the framework requirements and may result in an exemption from the above.
If you haven’t got a level 2 ICT qualification, your training contractor is strongly encouraged to offer ICT Essential Skills level 2 as well as the essential skills above.
Competence and knowledge qualifications
You need to complete a competence-based qualification from the list below.
- City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Work-based Animal Care 500/6815/5
- SEG Awards ABC Level 3 Diploma in Work-Based Animal Care 500/6738/2
You may choose to specialise in one of the following areas
- Animal Care and Welfare
- Animal Welfare enforcement
- Animal Training
- Animals in education and training
- Dog Grooming
- Dog/animal wardens
- Pet Care and Retail
- Zoos/Wildlife establishments
Knowledge-based requirements are covered in the following units of the diploma in work-based animal care;
- Promote, monitor and maintain health and safety and security
- Plan the handling and restraint of animals
- Plan, supervise and control the movement of animals
Eligibility and entry to the programme
You must be a new employee, or an existing employee taking on a new role to take part in the programme.
Entry to the level 3 apprenticeship is by progression from the apprenticeshipsni level 2 framework in animal care. Employers may also apply their own criteria at the recruitment stage.
You may also enter the level 3 apprenticeship, subject to assessment by the training contractor and employer, if you:
- have already gained significant work experience in your occupational area, which could be considered as meeting the requirements of the level 2 animal care framework and can show the capacity to achieve a level 3 standard
- have previously achieved a relevant level 2 recognised vocational qualification that is a mandatory requirement of the Level 2 apprenticeshipsni animal care framework
See also the DfE operational requirements.
Apprenticeship duration can vary and will be agreed between the apprentice, training contractor and employer.
For this framework, the participant is required to complete a suitable employee rights and responsibilities (ERR) workbook. Framework certification is issued on confirmation from the training contractor that the ERR has been completed.
While not required for certification of the apprenticeship, completion of a one day emergency first aid course approved by the health and safety executive is recommended.
It is the responsibility of the training contractor/college to ensure that all components of this framework are delivered in accordance with apprenticeshipsni operational requirements.
The apprentice must be employed from day one.
The content of this framework (Framework No 307 Issue 6: 06/19) has been agreed by the Department for the Economy. For further information, contact: