Water and wastewater operations - level 3 apprenticeship framework
This framework sets out the standards and criteria you must meet to complete the apprenticeship programme and receive your apprenticeship certificate for level three water and wastewater operations. This is the only level 3 training in this skill acceptable for apprenticeshipsni funding.
About the framework
This framework specifies the standards and the criteria for the delivery of level 3 apprenticeship training to achieve qualified status within the water utility operations sector.
If you successfully complete the apprenticeship, you'll be awarded a level 3 qualification and recognition as a qualified person within the sector.
Achievement of a level 3 apprenticeship in water wastewater operations will be assessed by verification through the appropriate awarding body.
You must complete a competence-based and a knowledge-based qualification, along with the mandatory essential skills qualifications.
Mandatory essential skills
To successfully complete the apprenticeship, you must achieve the following essential skills qualifications as part of the apprenticeship or already hold a recognised equivalent:
- application of number – level 2
- communication – level 2
- information communication technology – level 2
However, any qualifications you already have are assessed against the framework requirements and may result in an exemption from the above.
Competence and knowledge qualifications
Apprentices need to complete both the competence-based and the knowledge-based qualifications, shown below.
Combined Competence-based and Knowledge-based qualification:
- CABWI Level 3 Diploma in Water Treatment 603/1169/1
- CABWI Level 3 Diploma in Water Network – Distribution 603/1171/X
- CABWI Level 3 Diploma in Water Network – Leakage 603/1173/3
- CABWI Level 3 Diploma in Waste Water Networks 603/4852/5
- CABWI Level 3 Diploma in Waste Water Treatment 603/1716/4
Eligibility and entry to the programme
You must be a new employee, or an existing employee taking on a new role to take part in the programme.
Entry to the level 3 apprenticeship is by progression from the apprenticeshipsni level 2 framework in water utility operations.
Employers may also apply their own criteria at the recruitment stage.
You may also enter the level 3 apprenticeship, subject to assessment by the training contractor and employer, if you have :
- already gained significant work experience in your occupational area, which could be considered as meeting the requirements of the level 2 water utility operations framework and can show the capacity to achieve a level 3 standard
- previously achieved a relevant level 2 recognised vocational qualification that is a mandatory requirement of the Level 2 apprenticeshipsni water utility operations framework
See also the DfE operational requirements.
Apprenticeship duration can vary and will be agreed between the apprentice, training contractor and employer.
For this framework, you must complete a suitable employee rights and responsibilities (ERR) workbook. Framework certification is issued on confirmation from the training contractor that the ERR has been completed.
Manual handling or working in confined spaces training must also be completed as a mandatory requirement.
It is the responsibility of the training contractor/ college to make sure all components of this framework are delivered in line with apprenticeshipsni operational requirements.
The apprentice must be employed from day one.
The content of this framework (Framework No 390 Issue 06: 12/22) has been agreed by the Department for the Economy and and Energy & Utility Skills.
For more information, contact: