Business administration - level 3 apprenticeship framework
This framework sets out the standards and criteria you must meet to complete the apprenticeship programme and receive your apprenticeship certificate for level three business administration. This is the only level 3 training in this skill acceptable for apprenticeshipsni funding.
About the framework
This framework specifies the standards and the criteria for the delivery of level 3 apprenticeship training to achieve qualified status within the business administration sector.
Successful completion of the apprenticeship will lead to the award of a level 3 qualification and recognition as a qualified person within the industry sector.
Achievement of a level 3 apprenticeship in business administration will be assessed by verification through the appropriate awarding body.
You must complete a combined competence and knowledge-based qualification from the list below, along with the mandatory essential skills qualifications.
Mandatory essential skills
To successfully complete the apprenticeship, you must achieve the following essential skills qualifications or already hold a recognised equivalent:
- application of number – level 2
- communication – level 2
- information and communication technology – level 2
The essential skills are mandatory and are to be completed as part of the apprenticeship.
However, any qualifications you already have are assessed against the framework requirements and may result in an exemption from the above.
Competency and knowledge qualifications
Apprentices need to complete a combined competency and knowledge-based qualification, chosen from the list below.
Pathway one – business administration
Combined competence and knowledge based qualification:
- BIIAB Level 3 Diploma in Business Administration 601/3742/3
- City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Business Administration 601/3608/X
- Highfield Level 3 Diploma in Business Administration (RQF) 601/4029/X
- iCQ Level 3 Diploma in Business Administration (RQF) 601/3705/8
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Business Administration 601/3406/9
- ProQual Level 3 Diploma in Business Administration 601/3580/3
- OCN NI Level 3 Diploma in Business Administration Skills 610/1473/4
Eligibility and entry to the programme
You must be a new employee, or an existing employee taking on a new role to take part in the programme.
Entry to the level 3 apprenticeship is by progression from the apprenticeshipsni level 2 framework in business administration. Employers may, in addition, apply their own criteria at the recruitment stage.
You may also enter the level 3 apprenticeship, subject to assessment by the training contractor and employer, if you've:
- already gained significant work experience in your occupational area, which could be considered as meeting the requirements of the level 2 business administration framework and can show you're capable of achieving a level 3 standard
- previously achieved a relevant level 2 recognised vocational qualification that is a mandatory requirement of the Level 2 apprenticeshipsni business administration framework
See also the DfE operational requirements.
Apprenticeship duration can vary and will be agreed between the apprentice, training contractor and employer.
For this framework, you must complete a suitable employee rights and responsibilities (ERR) workbook. Framework certification is issued on confirmation from training suppliers that the ERR has been completed.
It's the training contractor/ college's responsibility to make sure that all components of this framework are delivered in line with apprenticeshipsni operational requirements.
The apprentice must be employed from day one.
The content of this framework (Framework No 302 Issue 12: 04/23) has been agreed by the Department for the Economy.
For further information, contact: