Report a street light fault
If you want to report a street light fault in Northern Ireland, you can do so online.
Before you start
Warning: damaged or faulty electrical equipment can cause serious injury or death.
Do not touch it or interfere with it.
If you think the problem is a serious threat to life or safety, phone Department for Infrastructure (DfI) Roads on:
0300 200 7899
If you feel that street lighting needs to be upgraded or installed in your road, you should write to the street lighting engineer for your area using the details on the Department for Infrastructure (DfI) Roads page.
To report a street light fault, use the map at the link below.
Once the map has opened:
- you should use the location search box or zoom in to a level where you can see the light on the street you want to report
- if the light has already been reported it will be coloured red - you can still add your name to the list of those reporting it by choosing ‘add’
You can find out how any personal information you send to DfI Roads when using this 'report a fault' service will be handled by viewing its privacy notice.
Tracking the progress of a fault
You are able to check the progress of a fault you have reported using the link below:
Reporting by email or phone
You can also report a street light fault by email to DfI Roads or by phone (for emergencies) to 0300 200 7899 (out of hours).
- a street light hanging off
- bare cables showing
- street light column door off
- the lighting pole has been knocked down
The following details will help identify the location of the fault:
- road or street name
- nearest house number
- column number (on yellow and black label), if known
- details of the fault - for example ‘not working at night’, ‘lit during daylight’, ‘column door missing’, or ‘traffic accident damage’
Problems with roads and streets
- An obstruction on a road or street
- Claiming compensation due to a road or street problem
- Clearing ice and snow from footways
- Complaining about how a roads-related claim was handled
- Drains, gullies and sewers
- How to claim compensation due to a road or street problem
- Ice and snow on roads and streets
- Report a pothole
- Report a problem with a crash barrier or guardrail
- Report a problem with a manhole or gully cover
- Report a road drainage fault
- Report a road spillage
- Report a street light fault
- Report an issue with a road sign or marking
- Report an issue with graffiti or fly-posters
- Report an issue with ice or snow
- Report an issue with roadworks
- Report an obstruction on a road or street
- Reporting problems with pavements and private street maintenance
- Road spillages
- Roadside grass cutting, weeds and overgrown hedges or trees
- Street lighting
- Track progress of a compensation claim
- Track progress of a reported road fault or issue
- Track progress of a reported street light fault
- Traffic lights and reporting a fault
- When you see animals wandering on the road