Complaining about how a roads-related claim was handled

During or after the processing of a roads-related claim against the Department for Infrastructure (DfI), you may complain about any aspect of how it was handled.

Complaints procedure

The complaints procedure does not deal with complaints about a liability decision in a compensation claim case, because decisions can be challenged through the legal process.  There is, however, an internal review process relating to liability decisions.

If you're unhappy with how your claim has been, or is being, handled you can speak to the claims manager of the investigation team that has dealt with, or is dealing with, your case. 

If the claims manager is not able to resolve the issue then you may complain in writing to the head of the DfI Roads Claims Unit.

If you're not happy with the response, you may complain in writing to a senior civil servant in DfI. The contact details for the senior civil servant will be provided by the head of the DfI Roads Claims Unit when they respond to your complaint.

You must do this within six months of the response letter from the claims manager or the matter will be considered closed.

You can get further details about the complaints procedure on the DfI website.

DfI has a customer charter, which is available at this link:

Next steps

If you have received a reply from a senior civil servant and are still not satisfied, you can refer your complaint to the Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman.

The ombudsman will expect you to have used the steps outlined above before referring a complaint.

You must refer your complaint within six months of having exhausted DfI's complaints system.

You can contact the Ombudsman for advice or visit the Ombudsman's website.

Asking for a review of the decision on your claim

DfI Roads Claims Unit will review a decision to turn down a claim. However, new evidence should be provided to justify the review.

If you're still unhappy after the review and wish to challenge the decision, you can do so through legal proceedings in court, within appropriate time limits.


Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.