Street lighting

Most street lights, traffic signs, bollards, and belisha beacons on public roads and streets across Northern Ireland are the responsibility of the Department for Infrastructure (DfI). If you find a fault with any of these, you can report it to DfI.

Reporting a problem

Warning: damaged or faulty electrical equipment can cause serious injury or death - do not touch it or interfere with it.

You can report a fault online, by email, in writing, in person to the relevant office, or by phone in the case of emergencies, at the link below:

Tracking the progress of a fault

You are able to check the progress of a fault you have reported using the link below:

Street lighting in urban areas

Generally, all roads, car parks and footpaths adopted (owned) by DfI in urban areas are lit. Exceptions to this include:

  • rear paths which only give local access
  • sections of adopted urban roads where there is no continuous housing development

LED lighting is the preferred choice for new and replacement street lighting schemes for adopted roads and footpaths.

New housing developments

The street lights in new housing developments are installed by the building developer during construction until the road is adopted by DfI. Until then the developer is responsible for:

  • the payment of electricity for the street lights
  • street lighting faults
  • repair of vandalism-damaged columns

DfI is not responsible for lighting away from the public road network, for example, security lighting to Northern Ireland Housing Executive houses or council parks and council car parks.

Rural roads

Rural roads are not usually lit unless there is a community of at least 10 houses along a 200-metre stretch, or a history of night-time road collisions.

How to ask for better lighting

If you feel that street lighting needs to be upgraded or installed in your road, you should write to the street lighting engineer for your area. Use the contact details at the links below.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.