How to claim compensation from TransportNI

If you are involved in an accident and believe that TransportNI is responsible, you can make a claim for compensation. This page will answer some of the most commonly asked questions that arise when making a claim against TransportNI.

Making a claim

Completing a claim form will assist TransportNI Claims Unit to process your claim as quickly as possible. You may download a claim form using the links below.

Alternatively, you may request a claim form by email, by phone, in writing, or in person at either of the TransportNI offices in Belfast or Londonderry.

You must sign the claim form and attach any relevant documentation to it before returning it to the Claims Unit.

Providing clear, dated photographs (including close-up shots of the defect and the defect at a distance and in the context of the surrounding area) and/ or photographs of the damaged property may speed up the processing of your claim.

All forms should be returned to the main office in Belfast.

Getting compensation

Compensation is not automatically guaranteed. TransportNI must thoroughly investigate every claim to establish whether or not it has a defence to the allegations made.

When its investigations are complete, TransportNI will notify you of its decision in writing.

Property and vehicle damage

If the decision is taken to settle your claim, please note that the amount of compensation offered will be the amount estimated to return your property to the condition it was in immediately prior to the damage.

There is no legal entitlement to provide 'new for old', therefore the amount of compensation paid may be less than the amount claimed.

Personal injury only

If TransportNI makes an offer of compensation for an injury to a Minor, the matter will be referred to a judge to assess if the compensation is fair.

Any compensation paid will be held by the court until the Minor reaches the age of 18.

Timescales for claim decisions

The average timescale for a decision to be taken on vehicle damage claims is four months, and for personal injury claims six months.

For internal flooding of living accommodation, the target is six weeks.

The average timescale for a decision on all other property damage claims is six months.

To investigate your claim thoroughly, TransportNI Claims Unit may have to check the following:

  • TransportNI inspection and repair records
  • other records held by TransportNI (for example, public complaints)
  • whether or not a contractor or other organisation is involved

Once your claim has been thoroughly investigated, a decision is taken to settle it, reject it or refer it to another party.

Why another party might be involved

From investigations, it may be established that a contractor, utility company or another person or organisation caused the defect in question. In those circumstances details will be passed to that person or organisation to investigate your claim further.

Meeting at the accident site

Personal injury and vehicle damage only

Provision of clear, dated photographs with your claim form showing close-up shots of the defect and the defect at a distance and in the context of the surrounding area may enable TransportNI to identify the exact location, and, therefore a meeting on site may not be necessary.

If TransportNI cannot identity the exact location from the photographs, a meeting will be arranged with a member of its staff so that you can show TransportNI the exact location.

Property damage

In the course of its investigation, it may be necessary for a member of TransportNI staff to establish the cause and inspect the damage to your property. In some cases TransportNI Claims Unit may use the services of a loss adjuster to inspect the damage to your property and to advise on the financial aspects of a claim.

Such visits form part of TransportNI investigations and do not mean that TransportNI is accepting liability.

In the event that you have already carried out the repairs, please retain the damaged property and/ or provide photographs of it.

If a claim relates to the sewerage and water supply

Northern Ireland Water Limited is responsible for the supply of water and sewerage services, and the company has its own claims handling procedures.

If your claim arises as a result of flooding or any other actions or operations taken by or on behalf of Northern Ireland Water, you should contact Waterline to request a claim form.

Further information may be found at the page below:

More useful links


Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback