Drains, gullies and sewers

If gullies, drains or sewers in your area are blocked, find out how to report such an issue.

Gully emptying

Gully emptying and clearing of drainage systems includes grips, ditches, gullies and other systems.

The quick and effective drainage of surface water contributes significantly to the safety of a road. To prevent, as far as possible, standing water or flooding of a road, the grips and highway ditches are cleaned of vegetation and dug out when required.

Gullies in urban and rural areas are normally cleaned by the Department for Infrastructure (DfI), generally twice a year in urban areas, once a year in rural areas, plus emergencies as they happen.

However, due to the current financial situation all gullies will be cleaned at least once during the year. There will be additional cleaning at known problem locations to try to prevent flooding and for road safety reasons.

Reporting a drainage issue

You can report an issue with blocked gullies, roadside drainage or ponding by using the link below. 

Tracking the progress of a fault

You are able to check the progress of a fault you have reported using the link below:

Public sewer or water main

To report an overflowing public sewer or water from a burst main, you should contact NI Water.

If private drains or sewers are overflowing, you will need a drainage contractor to deal with any blockage. NI Water may be able to do the repair work and charge you the cost of any work.

NI Water is responsible for supplying water and the pipes up to and including the water stopcock on the boundary of your property. A stopcock is a valve which is used to switch off the flow of water to your property.

Reporting flooding

To report flooding, you should call 0300 2000 100.

This telephone number is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

When you ring, a member of staff will take all your details and contact the relevant department or agency on your behalf. This is a non emergency number so if you are in danger call the emergency services on 999.

If there is a flood in your home you should first contact a plumber.

Internal pipework and the water service pipe are the responsibility of the homeowner or landlord. A water service pipe takes water from the stopcock on the boundary of your property into your house.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.