About the framework
This framework specifies the standards and the criteria for the delivery of level 2 apprenticeship training to achieve qualified status within the business and information technology sector.
Successful completion of the apprenticeship will lead to the award of a level 2 qualification and recognition as a qualified person within the industry sector.
Achievement of a level 2 apprenticeship in IT and telecoms professional will be assessed by verification through the appropriate awarding body.
You must complete both a competence-based and a knowledge-based qualification, along with the mandatory essential skills qualifications.
Mandatory essential skills
To successfully complete the apprenticeship, you must achieve the following essential skills qualifications as part of the apprenticeship or already hold a recognised equivalent:
- application of number – level 1
- communication – level 1
However, any qualifications you already have are assessed against the framework requirements and may result in an exemption from the above.
Competence and knowledge qualifications
You need to complete both a competence-based and a knowledge-based qualification, from the lists below.
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence 501/1789/0
- BIIAB Level 2 Diploma in Professional Competence for IT and Telecoms Professionals (PROCOM) 601/6450/5
- City & Guilds Level 2 Award in ICT Systems and Principles 500/3475/3
- City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in ICT Systems Support 501/1623/X
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in ICT Systems and Principles 501/1859/6
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in ICT Systems Support 501/1430/X
- Pearson BTEC Level 2 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles 501/1381/1
- OCR Level 2 Cambridge Technical Certificate in IT 600/4219/9
- OCR Level 2 Cambridge Technical Diploma in IT 600/4222/9
- OCR Level 2 Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate in IT 600/4225/4
- BIIAB Level 2 Award in ICT Systems and Principles for Practitioners 601/6468/2
- BIIAB Level 2 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles for Practitioners 601/6470/0
- BIIAB Level 2 Diploma in ICT Systems and Principles for Practitioners 601/6469/4
Eligibility and entry to the programme
You must be a new employee, or an existing employee taking on a new role to take part in the programme. There are no formal entry requirements for learners undertaking this apprenticeship, however employers may apply their own criteria at recruitment.
Employers and training contractors must ensure that learners have the potential and opportunity to gain the apprenticeship successfully.
See also the DfE operational requirements.
Apprenticeship duration can vary and will be agreed between the apprentice, training contractor and employer.
For this framework, the participant is required to complete a suitable employee rights and responsibilities (ERR) workbook. Framework certification is issued on confirmation from the training contractor that the ERR has been completed.
It is the responsibility of the training contractor/college to ensure that all components of this framework are delivered in accordance with apprenticeshipsni operational requirements.
The apprentice must be employed from day one.
The content of this framework (Framework No 91 Issue 4: 03/21) has been agreed by the Department for the Economy. For further information, contact: