Retail - level 2 apprenticeship framework
This framework sets out the standards and criteria you must meet to complete the apprenticeship programme and receive your apprenticeship certificate for level two retail. This is the only level 2 training in this skill acceptable for apprenticeshipsni funding.
About the framework
This framework specifies the standards and the criteria for the delivery of level 2 apprenticeship training to achieve qualified status within the retail industry.
If you successfully complete the apprenticeship you'll be awarded a level 2 qualification and be recognised as a qualified person within the industry sector.
Achievement of a level 2 apprenticeship in retail will be assessed by verification through the appropriate awarding body.
You must complete both the competence and knowledge-based qualification, along with the mandatory essential skills qualifications.
Mandatory essential skills
To successfully complete the apprenticeship, you must achieve the following essential skills qualifications as part of the apprenticeship or already hold a recognised equivalent:
- application of number – level 1
- communication – level 1
- information and communication technology – level 1
However, any qualifications you already have are assessed against the framework requirements and may result in an exemption from the above.
Competency and knowledge qualifications
You need to complete both a competency-based and a knowledge-based qualification, from the list below.
- City & Guilds Certificate in Retail Skills 600/4065/8
- City & Guilds Diploma in Retail Skills 600/3960/7
- iCQ Certificate in Retail Skills 600/6032/3
- NOCN Certificate in Retail Skills 600/7146/1
- NOCN Diploma in Retail Skills 600/7147/3
- BIIAB Certificate In Retail Skills 601/6556/X
- BIIAB Diploma In Retail Skills 601/6579/0
- VTCT Certificate in Retail Skills 600/5076/7
- City & Guilds Certificate in Retail Knowledge 500/7352/7
- VTCT Certificate in Retail Knowledge 500/6943/3
- iCQ Certificate in Retail Knowledge 600/3204/2
- NCFE Certificate in Retail Knowledge 600/2139/1
- Highfield Certificate in Retail Knowledge 600/3750/7
- BIIAB Certificate In Retail Knowledge 601/6578/9
- OCN NI Level 2 Certificate in Retail Knowledge 603/4982/7
- OCN NI Level 2 Diploma in Retail Knowledge 603/4983/9
Eligibility and entry to the programme
There are no formal entry requirements to take part in this apprenticeship. However, employers may apply their own criteria at the recruitment stage. Employers and contractors must make sure that learners have the potential and opportunity to gain the apprenticeship successfully.
You must be a new employee, or an existing employee taking on a new role to take part in the programme.
See also the DfE operational requirements.
Apprenticeship duration can vary and will be agreed between the apprentice, training contractor and employer.
For this framework, you must complete a suitable employee rights and responsibilities (ERR) workbook. Framework certification is issued on confirmation from training suppliers that the ERR has been completed.
It's the training contractor/ college's responsibility to make sure all components of this framework are delivered in line with apprenticeshipsni operational requirements.
The apprentice must be employed from day one.
The content of this framework (Framework No 31 Issue 15: 03/22) has been agreed by the Department for the Economy.
For further information, contact: