Support services for victims

If you have been a victim of crime or abuse in Northern Ireland, there are organisation and groups who can give you free advice, support and practical help to help you deal with the impact of the crime.

Victims of crime

Once you have reported a crime to the police you will be asked if you wish your contact details to be passed to Victim Support NI. If so, they will make contact with you to see if they can help you.

If you do not want your name passed on, you should tell the police officer who is dealing with your case.

If you wish to speak to someone from Victim Support NI before you speak to the police, you can contact them directly by:

  • phone: 028 9024 3133 (during office hours)
  • telephoning the National Supportline 0845 30 30 900 (at any time)
  • contacting your local Victim Support NI office

Even if you choose not to report the crime, Victim Support NI can still help you to cope with the effect it has had on you.

When you contact them, a fully-trained volunteer will give you information on what to expect, help you decide the type of support you need, and make sure you receive that help for as long as you need it. They can meet you at your local Victim Support NI office or somewhere suitable for you.

You may want to contact Victim Support NI if you:

  • want to talk, in confidence, to someone who can help you
  • need information or practical help
  • want to make a claim for criminal injuries compensation
  • are going to court, either as an observer or as a witness

The phone line is open at the following times:

  • Monday to Friday - from 9.00 am to 9.00 pm
  • Saturday and Sunday - from 9.00 am to 7.00 pm
  • public holidays from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm

Victim Support NI provides these services free of charge and does not take a percentage from any award made.

Victim Support NI also has information about other organisations offering help, such as counselling, and can give you contact details if you would find that helpful.

Find out more on the Victim support NI website.

Criminal justice organisations

As a victim of crime you may find it helpful to speak to someone about your experience. A range of criminal justice organisations and general victim support services are available that may help you.

Domestic abuse and violence

If you are living in an abusive relationship, and are worried about your safety and the safety of your child, help is available.

Find out more about help and support available for victims of domestic abuse.

Hate crime

Hate crime advocates are available to help improve services for victims of hate crime and to tackle the under-reporting of such crime/ incidents.

Find out more about hate crime.

Sexual violence and abuse

If you, or someone you know, has been the victim of sexual violence or abuse you should seek help as soon as possible.  

Find out more about what to do if you've been a victim of rape or sexual assault.

Bereavement support

Human Trafficking

Victims and Survivors

If you are a victim or survivor of the conflict help may be available to assist you and make sure that you have access to services and support.  

Other support organisations

Making a complaint about a service

If you are not satisfied with the service that you have received, speak to the person you have been dealing with at the organisation, if you feel comfortable doing so.  Ask them for details of their complaints procedure.

If you're not satisfied with the response, you can contact an independent body and ask them to consider your complaint.

You'll find more information at the links below.

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.