Disability Living Allowance for adults

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a tax-free benefit for disabled people who need help with mobility or care costs.

Since 20 June 2016 Personal Independence Payment (PIP) has replaced DLA for people aged 16 to 64 years.


If you’re already claiming and are aged between 16 and 64 years, you’ll continue to get DLA until the Department for Communities (DfC) writes to tell you when your DLA will end and invites you to apply for PIP.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

If you are already claiming DLA and are over 65 with a life time award, your DLA will continue, providing you continue to meet the eligibility criteria.

You will only be eligible to make a fresh claim to DLA if you are under 16.

If you’re aged 65 or older and haven’t received DLA or Personal Independence Payment in the last year, you may be able to claim Attendance Allowance instead.

DLA rates

The rate you get is made up of two components (parts). How much you get depends on how your disability or health condition affects you.

Care component

Care component Weekly rate  Level of help you need
Lowest £22.00 Help for some of the day or with preparing cooked meals
Middle £55.65 Frequent help or constant supervision during the day, supervision at night or someone to help you while on dialysis
Highest £83.10 Help or supervision throughout both day and night, or you’re terminally ill

Mobility component

Mobility component Weekly rate  Level of help you need
Lower £22.00 Guidance or supervision outdoors
Higher £58.00 You have any other, more severe, walking difficulty

How you’re paid

DLA is usually paid every four weeks.

All benefits, pensions and allowances are paid into an account, for example, your bank account.

Effect on other benefits and entitlements

If you are in receipt of DLA it might increase the amount of other benefits or credits you're entitled to, such as:

  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

DLA is normally ignored as income for working out these income-related benefits and credits.

DLA and your carer

If you have someone looking after you, they may be entitled to claim Carer’s Allowance or Carer’s Credit.

Change of circumstances

You must call  Disability and Carers Service (DCS) if your circumstances change, as this can affect how much DLA you get - for example:

  • the level of help you need or your condition changes 
  • you go into hospital or a care home for more than four weeks
  • you go abroad for more than 13 weeks
  • you’re imprisoned or held in detention

You must also contact the helpline if:

  • you change your name, address or bank details
  • you want to stop receiving your benefit
  • your doctor’s details change

Appeal a decision

If you disagree with a decision, you must usually ask for ‘mandatory reconsideration’ before you appeal.


Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback