Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit is Benefit is available to support people who are ill or disabled from an accident or disease caused by work or while they were on an approved employment training scheme or course.


You may be eligible due to an accident or a disease.  


You may be able to claim if:

  • you were employed when the accident or event happened
  • you were on an approved employment training scheme or course when the accident or event happened
  • the work accident or event that caused your illness or disability happened in the UK

The right to apply for an accident declaration will be removed without resulting in any financial loss. 

There are some exceptions you can ask Industrial Injuries Branch about.


The scheme covers more than 70 diseases, including:

  • Asthma
  • Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) - previously known as Chronic Bronchitis or Emphysema
  • Pneumoconiosis (including Silicosis and Asbestosis)
  • Osteoarthritis of the knee in coal miners
  • Prescribed Disease A11 (previously known as vibration white finger)
  • Diffuse Mesothelioma and a number of other asbestos-related diseases such as Primary Carcinoma of the lung

The scheme also covers asbestos-related diseases including:

  • Pneumoconiosis (Asbestosis)
  • Diffuse Mesothelioma
  • Primary Carcinoma of the lung with Asbestosis
  • Primary Carcinoma of the lung without asbestosis but where there has been extensive occupational exposure to asbestos in certain occupations
  • Unilateral or Bilateral Diffuse Pleural Thickening

It also covers occupational deafness.

If you are self-employed

You can’t claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if you were self-employed.

What you'll get

The amount you get depends on your individual circumstances. 

The level of your disability will be assessed by a ‘medical advisor’ on a scale of zero to 100 per cent.

Normally you must be assessed as 14 per cent disabled or more to get the benefit and everyone will be paid the same rate no matter what age.

Your carer could get Carer’s Allowance if you have a lot of caring needs.

How to claim

You can download and complete a claim form or contact the Department for Communities for a form.

Download a form

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit forms:

Print out a claim form, fill it in and either:

Important: The date the claim form is received in a Jobs and Benefits office is the date payment can be considered from - not the date you downloaded the form.

Contact the Department for Communities

To request a claim form, you can either contact the Industrial Injuries Branch or any Jobs and Benefits office.

SMS messages

When claiming Industrial Injuries Benefit you may receive text messages (SMS) from the Department for Communities (DfC). They will always be clearly marked as DfC and will never ask you to give, or click a link to give, personal information or financial details by message or email.

If you’re concerned or unsure about any text messages (SMS) you receive from about Industrial Injuries Benefit  you should contact Industrial Injuries Branch directly. If you suspect you have received a fraudulent message as a scam, please contact Industrial Injuries Branch immediately.

  • Further information is available at: scamwiseni

What to do if your circumstances change

You, or the person who claims on your behalf, must tell the office that deals with your payments about any changes to your circumstances or personal details. Let them know if:

  • the condition for which you’re getting benefit improves
  • you marry, remarry, or form a civil partnership and change your name
  • you change your address
  • you leave the country
  • you go into prison

You must also report these if you receive Unemployability Supplement, which topped up Industrial Disablement Supplement until 1987.

Other benefits you may be able to get

Constant Attendance Allowance

You can claim Constant Attendance Allowance for accidents where your disability is assessed at 100 per cent and you need daily care and attention.

The Constant Attendance Allowance rate you’re paid is based on an assessment of your needs.

Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance

You can claim £71.60 in addition to Constant Attendance Allowance rates if:

  • you’re assessed at one of the top two rates of Constant Attendance Allowance
  • you need permanent, constant care and attention

Reduced Earnings Allowance

You may get Reduced Earnings Allowance if:

  • you can’t do your usual job or other work with similar pay because of an accident or disease caused by work
  • you have a disability or injury which began before 1 October 1990

Pneumoconiosis Etc. (Workers’ Compensation) Act 1979

You may be paid a lump sum if you have one of the following diseases:

  • Pneumoconiosis
  • Byssinosis
  • Diffuse Mesothelioma
  • Bilateral Diffuse Pleural Thickening
  • Primary Carcinoma of the lung when accompanied by Abestosis or Bilateral Diffuse Pleural Thickening

To get a payment you must meet all the following conditions:

  • your dust-related disease must have been caused by your employment
  • you’re getting Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit for one of the listed diseases
  • you must claim within 12 months of the decision awarding Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • you can’t or haven’t taken civil action because your former employer has stopped trading
  • you haven’t brought a court action or received compensation from an employer for the disease

You may be able to make a claim if you’re the dependant of someone who suffered from a dust-related disease but who has died. A dependant claim must be made within 12 months of the death of the sufferer.

Diffuse Mesothelioma payment

Under certain circumstances, people who have the asbestos-related disease, Diffuse Mesothelioma, may be entitled to a one-off lump sum payment.

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.