Constant Attendance Allowance

If you need daily care and attention because of a disability and you claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or a War Disablement Pension, you can claim Constant Attendance Allowance.

Who can claim

You can claim Constant Attendance Allowance if you get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or a War Disablement Pension and you need daily care and attention because of a disability.

Your carer could get Carer’s Allowance if you have a lot of caring needs.

If you get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

To claim you must:

  • need daily care and attention, for example, home nursing or help with preparing or eating food
  • be 100 per cent disabled (based on a medical examination)

If you get a War Disablement Pension

To claim you must:

  • need personal help for the same reasons that you get a war pension
  • be getting a war pension of 80 per cent or more

How much you'll get

There are four different weekly rates of Constant Attendance Allowance. How much you get depends on the extent of your disability and the amount of care you need.

Rate  Weekly amount
Exceptional rate   £143.20
Intermediate rate   £107.40
Normal maximum rate £71.60
Part-time rate   £35.80

If you get the ‘exceptional rate’ or ‘intermediate rate’, you may also get Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance.

How to claim

For industrial injury cases

Your entitlement to Constant Attendance Allowance will automatically be considered at the time of your medical examination for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if a 100 per cent assessment of your disability is being considered.

Contact Industrial Injuries Branch  or your local Jobs and Benefits office to find out if you can get Constant Attendance Allowance.

For war pension cases

To claim for war pension cases, contact Veterans UK for claim form WPA 0003 (CAA).

How you're paid

All benefits, pensions and allowances are paid into an account, for example a bank account.

If your circumstances change

You should tell the Industrial Injuries Branch or Veterans UK if your circumstances change. 

Changes can affect how much you get. For example, if you or the person you claim for needs more help, goes into hospital or moves abroad.

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.