Applying for or renewing a taxi driving licence

Taxi drivers' licences are issued by the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA). The application process usually take 12 weeks.


The DVA cannot make a decision on an application until the PV15 has been received and all the information requested from Access NI, the GP or the Occupational Health Service (OHS) has been received. The DVA aims to issue 95 per cent of licences within 10 working days of receiving the last piece of information. To help make sure your application is valid, please see the information below or the Important Notes on the PV15.

All Applicants

To apply for a taxi driver’s licence you must:

  • have held a full Category B (car) driving licence continuously for at least three years immediately before you apply
  • meet the necessary good repute requirements
  • meet the necessary medical requirements
  • have the right to work in Northern Ireland

First time applicants and those renewing their licence more than two years after expiry of last licence must have passed a taxi driver practical test.

Renewal taxi driver licence applicants must have completed the necessary mandatory periodic training.

A taxi driver’s licence will only be issued if you meet all of the above requirements. 

Car driving licence

Before you apply for a taxi driver’s licence you must have held a full Category B (car) driving licence continuously for at least three years. If you do not hold a Northern Ireland driving licence you must send in both parts of your EEA Community Licence with your application.

Taxi driver theory test and practical test

First time applicants or those renewing their taxi driver licence more than two years after expiry will have to pass both the taxi driver theory and practical tests before an application from you will be accepted for consideration.

Read more about the tests in section five of 'Taxi Manual - all you need to know to be a taxi driver'.

Criminal record check

Before you send in your application you will have to apply online for an enhanced disclosure certificate (EDC) using the PIN number provided on your taxi licensing application form. This is required to check if you have any conviction or other relevant information which may stop you getting a taxi driver’s licence. For more information about the Access NI process and to apply online go to  AccessNI criminal record checks

When you submit your PV15 application we will validate your online Access NI application to verify that the personal details match the identity document you have provided. If you have resided outside the UK within the last five years we may request a Certificate of Good Conduct. You can monitor the process of your online Access NI application through the personal log in details that you created.

The documents needed for your Access NI check may differ to those which support your right to work in the UK. Please make sure the documents you give with your PV15 application cover both.

When the Access NI check is complete, Access NI will send the EDC directly to you. Access NI will tell us if your EDC is clear, however if your EDC has any criminal record information you must send it to Taxi Licensing before we can continue with your application. Any information received will be treated confidentially, in line with Taxi Licensing policies and Data Protection principles and Access NI’s Code of Practice and this will be shredded unless you provide a stamped addressed envelope for return.

Good repute

The law requires that all taxi drivers are ‘fit and proper’ people to hold licences. Having a criminal record won't necessarily stop you from holding a taxi driver’s licence, however, if you have been convicted of a serious offence you may not be eligible to hold a licence until at least three years have passed since the date of conviction or, in cases where there a custodial sentence, release from prison.

Each conviction is considered on its own merit taking account of the penalty imposed and any mitigating factors. Some examples of serious convictions relate to offences for drugs, firearms or explosives, burglary, fraud, sexual offences or any offence involving violence such as wounding or assault, common assault, threats to kill or harassment.


When you are applying you must give details of any health condition likely to affect your fitness as a driver of a taxi. All first time applicants and those over 45 years of age are required to have a TLM1 medical form completed by their GP. We will send a TLM1 medical form out to you when we receive your application. You will need to arrange for your doctor to complete the form.

Depending on the information it contains you may be required to undergo further medical checks or your GP provide additional information which may delay a decision on your licence.

Medical standards for taxi drivers are higher than those required for car drivers. Taxi drivers are required to meet the same medical standards as those applied to buses and lorries (Group 2). Further information on the conditions and disabilities which are investigated for Group 2 licence holders is available from the link below:

Your GP will be able to advise you on the medical standards required. More detailed information on the above conditions and driving can be found on the website:

Right to work

All applicants for a taxi driver licence must have a right to work within the UK and be available to attend an interview at Passenger Transport Licensing Division (PTLD).The original documents required to support your right to work may be different to those used for identity purposes. Further information is available at:

Periodic training

Drivers renewing a taxi driver’s licence from 1 September 2016 must show that they have completed the required amount of taxi driver periodic training.

The training must have been delivered by a training provider authorised by the Department for Infrastructure (DfI) for this purpose and at least 3.5 hours must have been Disability Awareness training.

Required amount of periodic training

Date of taxi driver's licence expiry Training required
1 September 2016 - 31 August 2017 7 hours
1 September 2017 - 31 August 2018 14 hours
1 September 2018 - 31 August 2019 21 hours
1 September 2019 - 31 August 2020 28 hours
On or after 1 September 2020 35 hours

How to find training courses

Only approved courses taken at approved training centres will count towards periodic training. It will be up to you to decide which courses to attend.

Further details on courses and how to apply can be found on the Joint Approvals Unit for Periodic Training (JAUPT) website.

Taxi driver photograph

You will need a recent passport sized facial photograph with your name and address on the back.


The fee for a first time application is £140 and £105 for a renewal application. Cheques should be made payable to DVA. Please do not send cash, bank notes or blank postal orders with your application.

Completed applications

You can apply for your taxi driver’s licence by completing the PV15 (NI) application form which is downloadable from the link below. Please read the guidance notes before you complete the form.

You will need to enclose original documentation confirming your identity and proof of residency, a passport style colour photograph and the fee.

Send your completed application and the payment to:

Taxi Licensing Section
Driver & Vehicle Agency (PTLD)
County Hall
Castlerock Road
BT51 3HS

Telephone: 028 9025 4100

Apply for a duplicate licence

If you require a duplicate licence, please complete the PV16 (NI) form:

Taxi operator licence

If you are a sole trader operating on your own, you will also need a taxi operator licence.

Fair Processing Notice

The DVA is required by law to protect the public funds it administers. It may share information provided to it with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, in order to prevent and detect fraud. Further information is available from:

Fair Processing Notice

More useful links

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.