Keeping your driving licence up to date

You must tell Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) immediately of any changes to your name, address or your health. You can update your driving licence by sending it to DVA for amendment. A new licence will be issued free of charge.

Changes made to the format of Great Britain driving licences effective from 8 June 2015, have no effect  on licences issued by the Driver & Vehicle Agency in NI. Northern Ireland licences continue to be composed of two parts,  a plastic photocard and a paper counterpart.

Keeping your details correct

Informing DVA of your changed details will make sure your records are up to date and all future driving licence reminders are sent to your correct address.

If you permanently move to another country, DVA can’t register your new address on your Northern Ireland driving licence. You’ll need to contact the driving licence authority in your country of residence for information on exchanging.  

By post

When changing your address you’ll need to:

  • complete the 'changes' section on your paper counterpart, sign and date it
  • send both parts of your driving licence - photocard and counterpart document to the address below

When changing your name with or without a change of address (due to marriage, divorce for example) you’ll need to:

  • fill in a DL1 'application for a driving licence' available from main Post Office branches or MOT test centres
  • send in original identity documents that confirm your new name such as a passport or birth certificate or marriage certificate or Deed Poll
  • send in both parts of your driving licence this includes your photocard driving licence and the paper counterpart (there's no need to send in a new photograph)
  • send all your documents to:
Driver Licensing
County Hall
BT51 3TB

Note - if you would like your supporting documents returned by secure delivery then include a registered post or pre-paid Royal Mail Special delivery envelope with your application.

Or, you can hand in your application at any one of the following seven MOT test centres that have a checking service:

  • Armagh
  • Ballymena
  • Belfast
  • Downpatrick
  • Enniskillen
  • Londonderry (New Buildings)
  • Omagh
  • Coleraine (County Hall)


Remember - you can only notify DVA of a Northern Ireland address changes. An address outside Northern Ireland cannot be applied to a Northern Ireland driving licence.

It's a legal requirement to notify DVA when you change name or address. You could be fined £1,000 if you fail to do so.

Updating your vehicle registration certificate (V5C)

Making a name or address change to your driving licence does not automatically make a change to your vehicle registration certificate or your vehicle record.

To find out how to change your name and address details on your vehicle registration certificate and record, please use the link below:

Informing DVA of a medical condition

If you develop a medical condition or disability that may affect your driving, or you already suffer from one and your condition gets worse, you must tell DVA.

Lost or stolen licence

If you’ve lost your driving licence, or you don’t have one or both parts of your photocard driving licence, you’ll need to apply for a replacement and notify any changes at the same time.

When to expect your licence

DVA aims to deliver your driving licence to you within three weeks of receiving your completed application. It will take longer if DVA has to check your health or personal details.

Allow at least four weeks for your driving licence to arrive before contacting DVA.

Driving before your licence is returned

You can drive before you receive your licence as long as you:

  • have held a Northern Ireland or Great Britain licence issued since 1 January 1976 or another exchangeable licence
  • aren't disqualified from driving
  • haven't been refused a licence for medical reasons or for failing to comply with medical enquiries
  • wouldn't be refused a licence for medical reasons (if in doubt, check with your doctor)
  • keep to any special conditions which apply to the licence

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback