Knowledge and understanding
The theory test is made up of two main parts, the multiple choice test and the hazard perception test. Both, which are sat at the same time, must be passed before a theory test certificate will be issued.
The tests, which are computer based, test your knowledge and understanding of a number of topic areas including; driving theory, the Highway Code, best driving practice and issues relating to the taxi industry.
Your knowledge of this information is tested in the first part as a series of multiple choice questions, some of which are based around case studies. Each question has four possible options, only one of which is correct.
The second part of the theory test is the hazard perception part which tests your ability to identify hazards and take the necessary action.
The practice papers concentrate solely on the multiple choice part of the test. There are 60 multiple choice questions, 20 of which are based around four separate case studies.
The theory test is divided up into four bands:
- Band 1 - Road Procedure and Responsibilities, Ecosafe Driving & The Environment
- Band 2 - Traffic Signs & Signal, Vulnerable Road Users & Mechanical Knowledge
- Band 3 - Health & Safety, Legal Responsibilities & Safe Loading of the Vehicle
- Band 4 - Customer Care, Carriage of Vulnerable Passengers & Passenger Comfort and Safety
In this practice you can finish one band at a time and then check the answers and score.
You will be asked to select one correct answer from the four possible answers given.
There are four case studies in the practice paper with five multiple choice questions to each case study. The case studies are designed to test your:
- knowledge (basic recall of facts);
- comprehension (basic understanding); and
- application (practical use of knowledge and understanding)
It does this by creating a scenario or a set of circumstances that you may encounter in a real life situation. You will then be asked a number of questions relating to the scenario, which will require you to consider how you would react or behave in each case.
Some questions will take longer to answer than others, but there are no trick questions.
At the end
The practice paper has been designed as an educational tool as well as a test. At the end of the test you can check your answers and see if you have answered them correctly. You will find out why the answer is correct and reaffirm your knowledge and helps to ensure understanding as to why the question is correct.
If you have answered any of the questions incorrectly you will be guided to a reference source. This gives you the opportunity to study the recommended reading material and reach an understanding of why your choice was incorrect and help you develop your knowledge of the topic area. This development should go some way towards helping you to prepare for the real taxi theory test should you decide to pursue a career as a professional taxi driver.
- The taxi theory test - practice paper 1
- The taxi theory test - practice paper 2
- The taxi theory test - practice paper 3
- The taxi theory test - practice paper 4