Permits for vehicles and activities in forests

For more frequent users of public forests, annual permits are available for parking. Permits are also needed for specific activities in forests.

Forest recreation charges

Charges are detailed on the Forest recreation charges page.

Annual permit 

From 1 January 2017 annual permits will run by calendar year and expire on 31 December 2017. Customers in possession of a permit purchased in 2016 that has an expiry date in 2017 and who wish to renew for the remainder of 2017 will pay an adjusted amount dependent on the number of months remaining in the year. The permit covers cars, minibuses, motorcycles and passengers. It allows you to visit the following forests as often as you wish.

Horse riding permit

Information on horse riding permits is available on the horse riding in forests page:

Touring in the Trees permit

A Touring in the Trees permit allows you to stay in 11 touring caravan sites where you can explore the forests and surrounding countryside. The forest sites are reserved for permit holders. You cannot stay for longer than three nights at one site.

As the number of permits is limited, permits are issued to first come, first served applicants.

Motorsport events

If you want to organise a motorsport event in a public forest, download and complete an application form.

Permits for other activities

For any other activities in forests, please contact the Recreation Forester -
Email: or 
Phone: 028 6634 3165   before downloading and completing the Forest Service activity permit application form below:

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback