Forest recreation charges
Charges are detailed on the forest recreation charges page.
- the permit covers the vehicle and all occupants - permits are available for cars, minibuses and motorcycles
- for costs see forest recreation charges
Buy permits from Tollymore Forest Park, Castlewellan Forest Park and Gosford Forest Park or from Forest Service Headquarters in person or by phone.
Phone: 028 6634 3160 or 028 6634 3165 or 028 6634 3078
Hours: Monday to Friday 10.00 am to 12.00 pm and 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm.
Pay over the phone by credit or debit card.
You may also apply for an annual forest permit by email:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by post providing your name, address and contact telephone number. Forest Service will then contact you to get payment details for your annual permit.
If you are applying by post, the cheque should be made payable to DAERA. Postal applications must not include cash. Return postal applications to Forest Service Headquarters.
A concessionary rate is available for 60 years olds and above. To apply for a concessionary rate send in the following details:
- your name, address, contact telephone number
- copies of identification like a driver's licence or medical card that has your name, address and date of birth - once your details have been checked the copy will be securely destroyed
A permit of the same type and category may be shared between members of one household where two or more vehicles are registered and owned at the same address, provided that it is used by only one vehicle at a time and the permit is clearly displayed in the vehicle. It allows you to visit the following forests as often as you wish:
- Glenariff Forest Park, Co Antrim
- Portglenone Forest, Co Antrim
- Gosford Forest Park, Co Armagh
- Castlewellan Forest Park, Co Down
- Tollymore Forest Park, Co Down
- Drum Manor Forest Park, Co Tyrone
- Gortin Glen Forest Park, Co Tyrone
A charge of £10 will apply for replacing a lost or damaged permit. Keep your till or card receipt as proof that you've paid.
Horse riding permit
Information on horse riding permits is available on the following page:
Touring in the Trees permit
A Touring in the Trees permit runs by calendar year (1 Jan 2018 to 31 Dec 2018) and allows you to stay in 11 touring caravan sites where you can explore the forests and surrounding countryside. The forest sites are reserved for permit holders. You cannot stay for longer than three nights at one site.
As the number of permits is limited, permits are issued to first come, first served applicants.
A charge of £10 will apply for replacing a lost or damaged permit. Keep your till or card receipt as proof of purchase.
If you want to organise a motorsport event in a public forest, download and complete an application form.
Permits for other activities
For any other activities in forests, please contact the Recreation Forester -
Email: email@example.com or
Phone: 028 6634 3165 before downloading and completing the Forest Service activity permit application form below: