Parking advice and parking schemes
When parking your vehicle there are several tips that can reduce the risk to your car and what you have in it. Northern Ireland has a number of parking-related schemes. The most commonly known is the Blue Badge scheme for people with severe mobility problems.
- always lock valuables away and out of sight
- always lock your vehicle and make sure all windows are closed
- don't leave a child or any animal in a locked vehicle on a hot day
- don't leave notes on your windscreen saying how long you will be gone and when you will return - this is an open invitation to thieves
- don't park anywhere in a within an on-street Controlled Parking Zone or a council-owned off-street car park except wholly and only in a clearly marked bay (if there is insufficient room for you to park in a bay - perhaps because of the way others have parked - then find another bay or car park in the vicinity)
- where applicable, note hours of operation and time limits indicated on nearby signs
- carry enough cash change or register with JustPark (cashless payment system) when parking where a tariff applies and note expiry times
- be considerate to others - don't park in a way that causes obstruction or danger
Car parking for Blue Badge holders
Most Department for Infrastructure (DfI) and local council car parks contain wider parking bays and designated spaces for Blue Badge holders located close to pedestrian exits.
The concessions provided by the Blue Badge scheme only apply to on-street parking on public roads. They do not apply to off-street car parks, or in other off-street parks, such as shopping centres and multi-storey car parks.
You should check the concessions offered as these can vary widely.
A Blue Badge should always be displayed correctly when availing of the concessions provided by the Blue Badge scheme or when parking in a bay set aside for a Blue Badge holder.
Other parking schemes
There are other parking schemes which aim to make it easier for certain groups of people to find a parking space. These include Park and Ride and Park and Share.
Privately-operated car parks
You can find some information about private car parks, such as those at shopping centres and supermarkets at this link: