Universal Credit

Universal Credit will be introduced in Northern Ireland in September 2017. The changes will affect working-age claimants aged 18 to 64 years old.

This information is provided for planning purposes only.

What Universal Credit is

Universal Credit is a new payment that when introduced, will support you if you are on a low income or out of work. It will give you the help you need to prepare for work, start work or earn more money.

Universal Credit will be for working-age people aged 18 to 64 years. It will include support for the cost of housing, children and childcare, as well as financial support for disabled people, carers and people who are too ill to work.

Benefits that will be replaced by Universal Credit

The benefits that will be replaced are:

  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (income-based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Housing Benefit (rental)

A new Department of Finance Rate Rebate Scheme will provide rates support for tenants or home owners who are entitled to Universal Credit.

The following benefits will not be replaced by Universal Credit and will continue:

  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (Contribution- based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Contribution- based)
  • Child Benefit
  • Pension Credit
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

Disability Living Allowance will be replaced by Personal Independence Payment.

Universal Credit will be made up of separate amounts of money to meet your personal needs, whether you are a single person or part of a couple.

How to claim Universal Credit

Universal Credit will be claimed online once it is introduced and you will be able to claim at a time that best suits you.

In Northern Ireland, Universal Credit will be paid twice a month to a household. A household could be a single person, a couple or a family. A monthly payment can be requested.

If a person is renting a property, the housing element of the Universal Credit payment will be paid to the landlord. A payment directly to the person claiming Universal Credit can be requested.

How Universal Credit will be introduced

Universal Credit will be introduced for new claims, on a phased geographical basis by Jobs and Benefits office/ Social Security Office from September 2017 to September 2018.  The planned approach is detailed below.

Week commencing Office
25 September 2017 Limavady
13 November 2017 Ballymoney
11 December 2017 Magherafelt and Coleraine
15 January 2018 Strabane and Lisnagelvin
5 February 2018 Foyle and Armagh
19 February 2018 Omagh and Enniskillen
5 March 2018 Dungannon and Portadown
16 April 2018 Banbridge and Lurgan
30 April 2018 Kilkeel, Downpatrick and Newry
14 May 2018 Bangor, Newtownards and Holywood Road
28 May 2018 Knockbreda, Newtownabbey and Shankill
11 June 2018 Corporation Street, Falls and Andersonstown
25 June 2018 Shaftesbury Square, Lisburn and Larne
2 July 2018 Carrickfergus, Antrim and Ballymena
July-September 2018 Cookstown, Ballynahinch and Newcastle

If you receive any of the six benefits being replaced by Universal Credit you will be transferred to Universal Credit between July 2019 and March 2022.  If you receive one of the existing benefits that will be replaced and you live in a Universal Credit area but your circumstances change, you may move to Universal Credit from September 2017.

Making work pay

Universal Credit aims to introduce greater fairness to the welfare system by ensuring it is better to work. Starting work is easier under Universal Credit because unlike the current system, benefits will not suddenly be removed.

A certain amount can be earned before a Universal Credit payment is reduced. This is known as your Work Allowance.

For any money you earn over your Work Allowance, your Universal Credit will be gradually reduced.

This feature of Universal Credit allows you to take temporary or seasonal jobs without worrying about making a brand new claim or any gaps between paydays as you move in and out of work.

Getting ready for Universal Credit

If you are currently receiving benefits or credits that are due to be replaced by Universal Credit, the Department for Communities will be in touch to guide and help you through the steps you need to take.

Getting online and sorting out the best way to manage your money will help you get the most from Universal Credit.

Help and support

Support will be available for working families claiming Universal Credit. These families can apply for a supplementary payment to help with expenses because of employment.

The detail of this support is yet to be finalised.  It is expected that payments will be available from autumn 2017.

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback