Local councils

There are 11 local councils in Northern Ireland, run by democratically-elected councillors. Councils have a range of roles and responsibilities, including providing certain services and representation, from your local sport and leisure centre to collecting your bin.

    Responsibilities of local councils


    Local councils are responsible for service areas, including:

    • waste collection and disposal
    • recycling and waste management
    • local planning functions
    • civic amenity provision
    • grounds maintenance
    • street cleaning
    • cemeteries
    • public conveniences
    • food safety
    • health and safety
    • environmental protection
    • environmental improvement
    • estates management - building design and maintenance
    • building control-inspection and regulation of new buildings
    • dog control
    • licensing, such as entertainment licensing
    • enforcement byelaws such as those around litter
    • sports, leisure services and recreational facilities
    • parks, open spaces and playgrounds
    • community centres
    • arts, heritage and cultural facilities
    • registration of births, deaths and marriages


    • local development plan functions
    • development control and enforcement


    • off-street parking (except Park and Ride)

    Local economic development 

    • Start a Business Programme and Enterprise Shows
    • youth entrepreneurship (such as Prince’s Trust and Shell Livewire)
    • social entrepreneurship
    • Investing for Women
    • neighbourhood renewal funding relevant to enterprise initiatives

    Local tourism

    • small-scale tourism accommodation development
    • providing business support including business start-up advice, along with training and delivery of customer care schemes
    • providing advice to developers on tourism policies and related issues


    • control of alterations, extension and demolition of listed buildings
    • conservation area designation and management
    • listed building enforcement notices
    • compensation where listed building consent has been revoked or modified
    • issuing of Building Preservation Notices. This will allow a council to temporarily list a building for a period of six months pending Northern Ireland Environment Agency assessment of permanently protected status as a listed building. [This is commonly called spot-listing]
    • issuing notices to require Urgent Works to preserve a building
    • community listing (previously called Local Listing) of buildings of special architectural or historic interest

    Local councils are not responsible for the following areas:

    • education
    • personal social services
    • roads
    • public housing
    • fire service
    • police service
    • trading standards
    • drainage water
    • sewerage
    • libraries
    • street lighting
    • collection of rates
    • transport
    • urban regeneration

    Community planning

    Councils lead a community planning process in each district, in partnership with other public service providers and it is a duty of government departments to have regard to community planning.

    Community Planning means the public sector agencies, the community and voluntary sector and businesses in your area working together to deliver better services and better outcomes for everyone. Community plans identify long-term priorities for improving the social, economic and environmental well-being of districts and the people who live there.

    Community planning partnerships

    Community Planning Partnerships have been established in each district comprising the council, statutory bodies, agencies and the wider community, including the community and voluntary sector. The partners will develop and carry out a shared plan for promoting the well-being of an area, improving community cohesion and the quality of life for all citizens.

    The Community Planning Statutory partners are:

    • The Education Authority
    • The Health and Social Care Trusts
    • Public Health Agency
    • Health and Social Care Board
    • Police Service of Northern Ireland
    • Northern Ireland Housing Executive
    • Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service
    • Invest Northern Ireland
    • Northern Ireland Tourist Board
    • Sports Council for Northern Ireland, (SportNI)
    • Libraries NI
    • Council for Catholic Maintained Schools

    Community safety

    Councils have a role in promoting community safety locally. There are 11 Policing and Community Safety Partnerships (PCSPs)  across Northern Ireland, one working in each council district. 

    You can find more information about community safety from the link below.

    Getting involved with your local council

    There are lots of ways you can get involved with your local council and the district community plan. From having your say on local issues and developments by responding to council consultations, to taking part in council events, talks and workshops.

    You can also go to some council meetings and get access to meeting papers and notes.

    To find out more visit your local council’s website or speak to your local councillor.

    Mayors and ceremonial duties

    Councils choose a mayor or chairperson and a deputy to carry out civic ceremonial duties.


    Councillors are responsible for making decisions on behalf of the local community about local services, such as waste collections, tourism and leisure facilities. 

    Councillors are also appointed to represent their councils or elected members in general, on a number of public bodies.

    If you want to voice any issues with your local councillor, contact them through your local council.

    Online register of local councillors

    An online register is available  which allows you to find out who councillors are for particular areas in Northern Ireland. The interactive map allows you to input an address or place and you will then be provided with the names of councillors for that area.

    Council decision-making

    Councils have different ways of making decisions.

    Most have a committee structure. This means the council will set up committees to deal with specific areas of the council’s business. These committees will make decisions or recommendations with the agreement of the council.

    Councils can also make decisions using executive arrangements. This is where smaller groups of councillors take decisions on a range of matters within an agreed framework set out by the council.


    Local councils get their funding from:

    • rates (District rate element)
    • various grants, mostly provided by the Department of Communities (DfC)
    • government grants
    • fees and charges for certain services
    • loans

    You can find out more about how local councils are funded on the Department for Communities (DfC)'s website.

    Your rates bill

    When setting the 2015/2016 rates, there was a move from 26 different district rates to 11. This meant everyone’s rates changed.

    Information on your rate bill, help with paying your rates, how you can pay your rate bill, rental properties, and valuation of properties for rates is available from the link below. 

    Making a complaint about your local council

    If you have a concern or suggestion about a service, write or speak to a member of staff or the service manager. Contact information for this, and other council services, is listed on your local council's website or in the telephone directory.

    If you are not happy with your reply

    A service manager normally sends you a written reply within a certain number of working days from receiving your complaint.

    If you are not satisfied with the reply, you can contact your council's complaints officer. The complaints officer will confirm that they have received your complaint and, after investigation with the department concerned, they will write to you.

    Your local council will be committed to responding to a complaint within a set number of days. Local circumstances vary slightly and you should contact your local council for full details.

    Taking your complaint further

    The Northern Ireland Ombudsman investigates complaints about local councils.

    Independent of central and local government, the Ombudsman's investigations are impartial. You can complain directly to the Ombudsman at any time, but usually after you have completed your local council's complaints procedure.

    You can make a formal complaint in writing, by email, by fax and online. You can also contact the Ombudsman by freephone to ask for advice before submitting a complaint.

    Making a complaint about a councillor

    Councillors must follow certain rules that set out how they should behave and the standards they should keep to. This is called a code of conduct.

    Read the code of conduct for councillors.

    If you have a complaint about a councillor or feel that they have acted outside the code of conduct, you can contact the Northern Ireland Ombudsman.

    You can make a formal complaint in writing, by email, by fax and online. You can also contact the Ombudsman to ask for advice before submitting a complaint.

    Share this page

    What do you want to do?
    What is your question about?
    Do you want a reply?
    Your email address
    To reply to you, we need your email address
    Your feedback

    We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

    This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

    You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

    If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

    You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

    The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

    Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

    Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
    Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

    What to do next

    Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to anglingcorrespondence@daera-ni.gov.uk 

    What to do next

    If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

    Carer's Allowance

    Call 0800 587 0912

    Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

    Call 0800 587 2750 

    Disability Living Allowance

    Call 0800 587 0912 
    Email dcs.incomingpostteamdhc2@nissa.gsi.gov.uk

    Employment and Support Allowance

    Call 0800 587 1377

    Jobseeker’s Allowance

    Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

    Personal Independence Payment

    Call 0800 587 0932

    If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

    What to do next

    Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to bluebadges@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

    What to do next

    For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

    What to do next

    For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

    What to do next

    For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

    What to do next

    For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email ani@accessni.gov.uk

    What to do next

    Application and payment queries can be emailed to ema_ni@slc.co.uk

    What to do next

    For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

    What to do next

    For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email gro_nisra@finance-ni.gov.uk

    What to do next

    For queries about:

    If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

    What to do next

    For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

    What to do next

    For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email dcu@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk

    What to do next

    For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

    What to do next

    If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

    If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

    What to do next

    For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

    What to do next

    For queries or advice about rates, email LPSCustomerTeam@lpsni.gov.uk

    What to do next

    For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.