The Northern Ireland Executive

The Northern Ireland Executive Committee runs the devolved government in Northern Ireland. It is made up of the First Minister, the deputy First Minister, two Junior Ministers and eight other government ministers.

The Executive

Meetings of the Executive are jointly chaired by the First Minister and deputy First Minister.

The Executive exercises executive authority on behalf of the Northern Ireland Assembly. It takes decisions on significant and controversial issues - matters which cut across the responsibility of two or more ministers, or which require a common Executive position, and on legislation proposed by ministers.

The Executive also agrees a Programme for Government and the Northern Ireland budget for approval by the Assembly.

Visit the Northern Ireland Executive website.

Appointed by the Assembly

The First Minister and deputy First Minister are nominated by the largest and second largest political parties respectively and act as joint chairs of the Executive.

Departmental ministers, with the exception of the Minister of Justice, are nominated by the political parties in the Northern Ireland Assembly, according to their share of seats in the Assembly (calculated using the d’Hondt system). The Minister of Justice is appointed following a cross-community Assembly vote.

Ministerial Code

The Ministerial Code sets out the rules and procedures to which all ministers must adhere. It includes the Pledge of Office, the Ministerial Code of Conduct, and the seven principles of public life, as well as conditions governing the functioning of the Executive Committee.

Government departments and ministers

There are nine government departments in Northern Ireland. The main role of the departments, and their agencies, is to put government policy into action and to advise ministers.

You can find out more about the work of each department and its minister by visiting the departmental websites.

An executive agency is a public body that delivers government services for the Northern Ireland Executive. An agency does not set the policy required to carry out its functions - these are determined by the department that oversees the agency. For example, the Social Security Agency is an executive agency and part of the Department for Communities.

Agencies are headed by chief executives, who are personally responsible for day-to-day operations. They are normally directly accountable to the responsible minister, who in turn is accountable to the Assembly.

Non-departmental public bodies

A non-departmental public body (NDPB) is a national or regional public body, working independently of, but still accountable to ministers. They are not staffed by civil servants. There are two main types of NDPB.

Executive NDPBs are those with executive, administrative, commercial or regulatory functions. They carry out set functions within a government framework, but the degree of operational independence varies. Examples include the Housing Executive, Sport NI and the Consumer Council.

Advisory NDPBs are those set up by ministers to advise them and their departments on particular matters. Examples include the Historic Buildings Council, the Historic Monuments Council and the Older Peoples Advocate.

Staffing, finance and organisation

Departments and agencies are staffed by politically impartial civil servants. They work with local authorities, non-departmental public bodies, and other government-sponsored organisations.

The structure and functions of departments are sometimes reorganised if there are major changes in government policy. A change of government, however, does not necessarily affect the functions of departments.

The Northern Ireland Civil Service

The Northern Ireland Civil Service supports the Assembly, the Executive and the institutions of government. It serves local ministers and carries out the administrative work of government.

The Head of the Northern Ireland Civil Service is Permanent Secretary of the Executive Office .

The most senior civil servant in each department is the Permanent Secretary who serves the minister and, as Accounting Officer, is responsible for making sure that money allocated to the department is spent appropriately.

The role of civil servants

Civil servants are politically impartial and are directly accountable to the minister in charge of the department in which they work.

Their role is to support the Executive and its ministers in delivering the commitments set out in the Programme for Government. In doing so civil servants are expected to show:

  • integrity – putting the obligations of public service above their own personal interests
  • honesty – being truthful and open
  • objectivity – basing advice and decisions on strict analysis of the evidence
  • impartiality – acting according to the merits of the case and serving equally well governments of different political persuasions

What civil servants do

Civil servants work in a wide range of areas across the many different aspects of government that touch on everyone’s day to day lives. Many provide services to the public such as:

  • paying benefits and pensions
  • helping people to find work
  • staffing prisons
  • issuing driving licences
  • providing services to industry and agriculture
  • maintaining roads

The Civil Service employs many different professions, all of whom play an important role in the delivery of government services, for example:

  • accountants
  • analysts
  • economists
  • engineers
  • health professionals
  • lawyers, statisticians
  • project managers
  • veterinary surgeons

Staff also develop policy and draft legislation which is submitted to the Assembly for debate before it can become law.

If you are interested in working for the Northern Ireland Civil Service, you'll find the latest vacancies on the NICS Recruitment website.

The British-Irish Council

The British-Irish Council (BIC) was established as part of the multi-party agreement reached in Belfast on 10 April 1998. The BIC promotes positive, practical relationships among the people of its members and provides a forum for consultation and co-operation. Its membership comprises representatives from the following:

  • Irish Government
  • British Government
  • Scottish Government
  • Northern Ireland Executive
  • Welsh Government
  • Isle of Man Government
  • States of Jersey
  • States of Guernsey

The British Irish Council’s current work programme focuses on the following areas of mutual interest:

  • misuse of drugs
  • environment
  • transport
  • social inclusion
  • indigenous, minority and lesser-used languages
  • demography
  • early years policy
  • digital inclusion
  • collaborative spatial planning
  • energy
  • housing

The North South Ministerial Council

The North South Ministerial Council (NSMC) brings together ministers from the Northern Ireland Executive and the Irish Government. Its aim is to develop consultation, cooperation and action within the island of Ireland on matters of mutual interest.

The NSMC oversees the work of six areas of cooperation:

  • agriculture
  • education
  • environment
  • health
  • tourism, including Tourism Ireland
  • transport

In each area, common policies and approaches are agreed in the North South Ministerial Council but implemented separately in each jurisdiction.

The NSMC meets in different formats throughout the year. The plenary meetings, usually held twice a year, involve the Northern Ireland Executive led by the First Minister and deputy First Minister and the Irish Government led by the Taoiseach, meeting to take an overview of co-operation on the island and of the North South institutions.

At NSMC sectoral meetings the Northern Ireland Executive is represented by two ministers nominated by the First Minister and deputy First Minister on a cross-community basis. One is normally the minister with responsibility for that sector within the Executive. The Irish Government is represented by the Minister or the Minister of State responsible for that sector.

At NSMC institutional meetings the Northern Ireland Executive is represented by the First Minister and deputy First Minister. The Irish Government is represented by the Minister for Foreign Affairs. At these meetings the NSMC considers institutional and cross-sectoral issues, including those about the EU. It also endeavours to resolve disagreements and problems in the operations of the NSMC.

The work of the North South Ministerial Council is supported by a standing Joint Secretariat, staffed by members of the Northern Ireland Civil Service and the Irish Civil Service. The Secretariat is based in Armagh.

There are six North South Implementation Bodies and each operates on an all-island basis:

  • Waterways Ireland
  • Food Safety Promotion Board (Safefood)
  • Trade and Business Development Body (InterTradeIreland)
  • Special European Union Programmes Body (SEUPB)
  • The Language Body / Foras na Gaeilge / Ulster Scots Agency
  • Foyle, Carlingford and Irish Lights Commission (Loughs Agency)

Find out more about North South Implementation Bodies.

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.