How to apply
You can get an application form:
- in person from any manned Translink bus or rail station
- by phoning 028 9066 6630 (deaf and hard-of-hearing applicants can use the textphone number 18001 9066 6630)
- by emailing: email@example.com to ask for a form to be posted to you
You must provide your name and full address, including postcode.
You will never be contacted asking for any bank account details when you're applying for or renewing a SmartPass.
Lost, stolen or faulty SmartPass
You must report your lost or stolen SmartPass to Translink as soon as possible, to cancel it and avoid the likelihood of fraudulent use.
If anyone else tries to use a stolen pass, Translink staff will be alerted.
Unauthorised use of a SmartPass will result in prosecution.
To report a stolen SmartPass, or if you have any queries about lost or faulty cards, you should visit your local Translink station or phone:
- 028 90 66 66 30
Using a SmartPass
After you have boarded the vehicle and asked for your ticket, you should check the ticket to make sure that the details of your journey are right. If the details are not right, you should tell the driver/ conductor immediately.
You should note that:
- Half Fare SmartPasses are issued for the sole purpose of providing eligibility for concessionary travel on scheduled services provided by Translink and other operators
- a valid working SmartPass must be shown on every journey to get discounted travel or else the full adult fare will be charged for the journey
- Half Fare SmartPasses are valid only on scheduled bus and rail journeys made in Northern Ireland - they are not valid on cross-border journeys, or on journeys within the Republic of Ireland
- Half Fare SmartPasses are not transferable, nor are any tickets issued with them
- use of the Half Fare SmartPass is subject to the full conditions of carriage of the transport operator
- the SmartPass remains the property of the Department for Infrastructure and may be withdrawn at any time
- it is the responsibility of Half Fare SmartPass holders to keep their SmartPass in good working condition
- if a SmartPass is lost or damaged, the SmartPass holder will have to pay for a replacement and will not be refunded for any fares paid in the interim
You can find further information about how to use your Half Fare SmartPass at this link:
You can use your Half Fare SmartPass on all Glider services.
Some changes have been made to make it easier for Half Fare SmartPass users to travel on Glider:
- Half Fare SmartPass users will be able to travel free of charge on the new service
- SmartPass users do not need to user Glider ticket vending machines but must tap their card on a validator at the Glider halts before boarding the Glider
The free concession for Half Fare SmartPass users is a temporary reasonable adjustment until an accessible solution is available. It applies only to Glider services.
For all other Translink services, including Metro and Glider feeder services, Ulsterbus, and Northern Ireland Railways, Half Fare SmartPass users will continue to get a half fare concession on the price of a single ticket.