Contravention code 49 may be used for vehicles seen to be parked on a mandatory cycle lane. No observation period will be applied.
Mandatory cycle lanes
Traffic attendants may only enforce mandatory cycle lanes. These are at carriageway (road) level and are separated from the rest of the carriageway by a solid white line or by a raised traffic island.
Advisory cycle lanes
Advisory cycle lanes cannot be enforced. These are also at carriageway (road) level but are separated from the rest of the carriageway by a broken white line.
Footway cycle tracks
These are advisory and cannot be enforced by traffic attendants.
- is loading/unloading permitted? No
- are Blue Badge holders exempt? No
Exemptions to enforcement
Vehicles are not permitted to park on mandatory cycle lanes with the following exemptions:
- council/ government department in pursuance of statutory duties
- emergency services (fire, police, ambulance, customs)
- road maintenance
- statutory undertaking (NIE Networks, NI Water, BT, and so on)
You can find out more about exemptions to enforcement on the following page: