Pay and display bay
Contravention code 05 shall be used for all vehicles seen to be parked in a pay and display bay after the expiry of the pay and display ticket, or not having a valid cashless parking event.
A 10-minute grace period will be applied after the expiry time shown on the pay and display ticket. This means that the pay and display ticket must be expired by at least 10 minutes before a PCN can be issued.
This on-street contravention code applies only to Controlled Parking Zones (on-street pay and display areas). These are currently located only in Belfast, Lisburn and Newry.
- is loading/ unloading permitted? Yes
- are Blue Badge holders exempt? Yes, Blue Badge holders may park free of charge in on-street pay and display bays with no time limit if correctly displaying a valid Blue Badge
Exemptions to enforcement
Vehicles are not permitted to park in a pay and display bay after the expiry of the pay and display ticket with the following exemptions:
- Blue Badge - Blue Badge holders may park free of charge in on-street pay and display bays with no time limit if correctly displaying a valid Blue Badge
- council/ government department in pursuance of statutory duties
- emergency services (fire, police, ambulance, customs)
- road maintenance
- statutory undertaking (NIE Networks, NI Water, BT, and so on)
- loading/ unloading
You can find out more about exemptions to enforcement on the following page: