Benefits: report a change in your circumstances

To get the right amount of benefits, you need to report any changes to your circumstances. Your claim might be reduced or stopped if you don’t report a change straight away or you give incorrect information. If you deliberately don’t report changes, you’re committing benefit fraud.

Changes you need to report

Changes you may need to report include:

  • change of name
  • change of address
  • going into hospital, a care home or sheltered accommodation
  • travelling or going abroad
  • getting married or divorced
  • starting or ending a civil partnership
  • moving in with a partner
  • people moving into or out of the place you live (for example, your partner, a child or lodger)
  • finding or finishing a job, or working different hours
  • your income going up or down
  • starting or stopping education, training or an apprenticeship
  • having a baby
  • changes to your medical condition or disability
  • your partner or someone you live with dying
  • starting or stopping caring for someone
  • change of doctor
  • changes to your pension, savings, investments or property
  • inheriting or unexpectedly coming into money / capital
  • changes to other money you get (for example, student loans or grants, sick pay or money you get from a charity)
  • changes to the benefits you or anyone else in your house gets
  • you or your partner getting back-pay (sometimes called ‘arrears’) for salary or earnings you’re owed
  • volunteering

If you claim Child Benefit you also need to report changes to your child’s circumstances.

How to report changes

Who you tell depends on which benefits you get. If you get more than one benefit, you’ll need to report your change to more than one organisation.

Universal Credit

You must report changes using your online account.

Personal Independence Payment

Report changes to the Personal Independence Payment Centre.

Employment and Support Allowance

Report changes to the Employment and Support Allowance Centre

Incapacity benefit

Report changes to the Incapacity Benefit branch.

Carer's Allowance

Report changes online or contact the Disability and Carers Service.

Other disability and carer benefits

If you get Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance or Carer’s Credit, report changes to the Disability and Carers Service.

Bereavement benefits

If you get Bereavement Support Payment, report changes to the Bereavement Service.

If you get Widowed Parent's Allowance, report changes to the Bereavement Benefits section.

Housing Benefit

Report changes to the Housing Executive.

Child Benefit

Report changes using the Child Benefit online service or contact the Child Benefit Office.

State Pension and Pension Credit

Report changes to the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

War Pension

Report changes to Veterans UK.

All other benefits

For all other benefits, including Income Support and Jobseeker’s Allowance, report changes to your Social Security / Jobs & Benefits office

Reporting a death

If someone dies when they’re receiving benefits, contact the Bereavement Service.

If you don’t report changes

If you don’t report a change or mistake, you might be paid too much and you may have to pay the money back.

If you deliberately don’t report changes, you’re committing benefit fraud. If you're prosecuted, you could be fined or get a prison sentence.

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback