Raster maps are static images displayed on screen, suitable as background mapping.
Each raster image is made up of a series of equally sized cells (or pixels) arranged in rows and columns. 1:1, 000,000 raster is smallest scale OSNI raster product giving an excellent overview of Northern Ireland.
- OSNI raster images are geo-referenced so that they display in the right geographic location when viewed in a Geographic Information (GI) software package
- complete coverage of Northern Ireland
- shows main roads, towns, cities, counties, parliamentary boundaries and mountain areas
- altitude tinting gives an indication of terrain height
- background mapping
- desk-top publishing
- web information services
- can be displayed on most GI and graphics software packages
- Irish Grid coordinates can be found for any point on the map
- available as one tile covering the whole of Northern Ireland
- no file conversion necessary
- this data is now available under Open Data
- OSNI Open Data