Work Experience Programme
If you're unemployed, the Work Experience Programme can help you develop your employability skills and gain the experience you need to get a job.
Work experience placements
The Work Experience Programme offers short work experience placements with local employers for people aged 16-65 years.
You can learn more about specific industries and job roles to help you make more informed choices about your future. They can also help improve your confidence and motivation.
Placements can last between two and eight weeks and will give you the chance to try out various tasks in a real work situation and develop skills needed to help you get a job.
Opportunity Guarantee (for people aged 16-24)
Opportunity Guarantee is a strand of the Work Experience Programme for young people aged 16-24. It builds on the Work Experience Programme with enhanced features:
- work experience placements of thirteen weeks
- a guaranteed interview for a job or apprenticeship when the placement ends
- can link to a JobStart opportunity if the employer offers you a job after the placement ends
When you are on a Work Experience or Opportunity Guarantee placement you will receive up to £50 per week (£10 per day) for taking part
How to get on the Work Experience Programme
To be eligible for the Work Experience Programme, you must:
- be aged 16-17 and receiving Universal Credit
- be aged 18-65
- be receiving Universal Credit or Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Income Support and actively seeking employment
- be actively seeking employment if you're unemployed and not claiming benefits
To get involved in the Work Experience Programme, speak to a work coach in your local Jobs and Benefits office to discuss what skills you need to develop.
If you're eligible, they can help you identify suitable work experience opportunities that could improve your chances of getting a job.
Taking part in the programme is voluntary and you'll continue to receive your benefit.
Any eligible weekly travel costs and childcare costs will be reimbursed.
If you would like a work experience placement and have a disability, or are having issues in a placement because of your disability, the Access to Work scheme can help.