Order a death certificate online
Death certificates are available from 1864 to present. You can order a death certificate online from the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI). You will need a credit or debit card to use this service.
Before you start
This online service may be unavailable at times between 7.00 pm on 22 March and 6.00 am on 23 March. Apologies for any inconvenience.
Due to the high volume of orders currently being received for certificates, non-priority orders may take up to 20 days to process.
You can order a death or a commemorative death certificate online. You will need a credit or debit card and the following information:
- full name of deceased
- date and place of death (district or street and town)
- the usual address of the deceased if different from place of death
For deaths within the last three years you must say whether the coroner was notified.
You can find out how any personal information you give to GRONI when using this service will be handled by viewing its privacy notice.
For the purposes of detection and prevention of crime, information about your application may be passed on to other government or law enforcement agencies.
Find out more about ordering certificates, including others ways to order, fees and postage at the link below.
Death and bereavement
- Applying for probate
- Arranging a funeral
- Coroners, post-mortems and inquests
- Documents and information needed when someone dies
- Making a will
- Order a death certificate online
- Registering a death
- What to do if there is no will
- What to do when someone dies checklist
- When someone dies abroad
- When someone dies at home
- When someone dies in hospital or a care home
Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback