Financial help for the bereaved

A death in the family can cause money problems for those who are left. Whether the problems are short or long term, there is financial help available.

Bereavement Support Payment

Bereavement Support Payment gives financial help to deal with the more immediate costs caused by the death of a spouse or civil partner.

Funeral Expenses Payment

If you're on a low income and need help to pay for a funeral you are arranging, you may be able to get a Funeral Expenses Payment from the Social Fund. You might have to repay some or all of it from the deceased person’s estate.

State Pension

If both you and your husband, wife or civil partner were getting the basic state pension when they died, you may be able to use their National Insurance contributions to get extra basic pension.

Find out more about the State Pension.

Industrial Injuries Benefit

If your husband, wife or civil partner was disabled as a result of an industrial accident or disease that occurred before their death and was not getting Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, you may be able to claim it for a period before their death.

Find out more about Industrial Injuries Benefit

War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme

A War Widow's or Widower's Pension is a tax-free pension you may be entitled to if your wife, husband or civil partner died as a result of their service in Her Majesty's (HM) Armed Forces or during a time of war.

For those who served after 6 April 2005, the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme offers financial help.

Guardian's Allowance

Guardian's Allowance is a tax-free payment for people who are bringing up children whose parents have died.

Find out more about Guardian's Allowance

Other benefits available

Other benefits and help are available depending on your circumstances.

Housing Benefit

If you're on a low income, whether you're working or not, and need financial help to pay all or part of your rent or rates, you may be able to get Housing Benefit.

Find out about Housing Benefit and Rate Relief.

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.