Bereavement Service - reporting a death
To report the death of someone receiving Social Security benefits, contact the Bereavement Service.
The Bereavement Service
The Bereavement Service will:
- record the date of death and tell each office that paid benefit to the deceased
- Check if you are eligible to make a claim for Bereavement Support Payment and / or a Funeral Expenses Payment, or a Child Funeral Fund payment.
The Bereavement Service can take the information for your application over the phone and forward this to the relevant office.
If you lived with or were dependent on the deceased, you may be entitled to claim other benefits or receive one-off payments.
You can contact the Make the Call service to make sure you get all the benefits, service and support you are entitled to.
Who can use the service
You can use the Bereavement Service if you need to report a death to the Department for Communities.
Information you need to provide
When you ring, you will need to provide details of the deceased, including:
- date of birth
- date of death
- National Insurance number
- benefits they were getting
If you want to make a claim for Bereavement Support Payment you will need details about:
- you (contact details, date of birth, National Insurance number)
- your partner (date of birth, National Insurance number, employment, pensions)
- your children (name, date of birth, where they live, benefits)
- other benefits you are getting
- your account details
If you want to make a claim for a Funeral Expenses Payment you will need details about:
- you, your partner and the deceased (address, date of birth, National Insurance number and surviving partner)
- benefits you, your partner and surviving relatives are receiving
- responsibility for the funeral (including payment)
- the Funeral Director and bill
- the estate (including probate solicitor details)
- money to pay for the funeral
- your account details
If you want to make a claim for Child Funeral Fund you will need details including:
• your address, date of birth, National Insurance number
• responsibility for the funeral, including payment
• the Funeral Director and bill
• your account details
If you use sign language, you might be able to use the video relay service to contact the Bereavement Service using British Sign Language (BSL) or Irish Sign Language (ISL). To access the service, go to: