Book your practical driving test online
Before you start
Covid-19 update: practical driving tests
From 1 September 2020, the DVA intends to resume driving tests for private cars (category B) and lorries (Category C) only, subject to consultation with staff and Trade Unions on revised risk assessments and protocols.
As capacity will initially be limited, the DVA will prioritise the following groups:
- priority workers who have previously requested an urgent driving test and are currently on a waiting list;
- customers who had driving tests booked (March-June) and whose tests were cancelled due to the measures imposed to prevent the spread of COVID 19.
The DVA will contact these customers to arrange appointments. More information about this process and how it will be handled will be published in the coming weeks.
Key workers (as defined by the Department for Health) should email firstname.lastname@example.org setting out the reason why they meet the criteria and need an urgent test. The DVA will assess the application and, if applicable, offer an appointment. Applications which do not meet the criteria, will not be progressed and customers will need to wait until the booking system is opened to the general public.
Once requests by customers in these priority groups have been processed, booking will then open for general customers to arrange a date for their driving test.
From 6 July the DVA resumed off-road and on-road motorcycle tests with tests for drivers in the following additional categories: bus; tractor; and module 4 DCPC tests for lorry, bus and coach drivers, from 20 July.
Practical tests for the following categories only can be booked from 1 July:
- off-road motorcycle
- on-road motorcycle
If your practical test is in one of the categories above, from 1 July you will need to ring the booking line on 0345 247 2471 to arrange an appointment.
Bookings will be available by phone only.
This number is only for booking driving test appointments in the categories listed above.
Practical tests for the following categories can be booked from 1 July, by contacting DVA Customer Services:
- bus driving
- Module 4 DCPC test for bus or lorry
If your practical test is in one of the categories above, from 1 July you will need to e-mail email@example.com.
Please provide your name, telephone number and preferred test centre so that a booking can be arranged.
- Book your practical driving test online
- Cancel your practical driving test appointment online
- Change your practical driving test appointment online
- Independent driving
- Minimum requirements for test vehicles
- Practical test for cars
- Practical test for motorcycles
- Reporting for your practical test
- View your practical driving test appointment online.