Reporting for your practical test
When attending your practical driving or riding test you must produce certain documents. Make sure you have these documents available when the examiner calls your name. You must also have an appropriately insured and licensed vehicle suitable for the test.
You must bring and wear a face covering for the full driving test. Check Coronavirus (COVID-19): face coverings for more information on face coverings.
Your test vehicle
You must bring an appropriately insured and licensed vehicle which is in a roadworthy condition and is displaying L-plates that are clearly visible from the front and rear. The vehicle should be representative of the type of vehicle for the category of test you are taking.
At the driving test centre
You must bring the following items with you. If you don't, the Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) may not carry out the test and you may lose your fee: You need:
- a valid MOT certificate
- the right theory test pass certificate or confirmation (if you are not exempt)
- your appointment letter
- both parts of your photo card driving licence (check your appointment letter for details - if you don't take both parts of your licence your test may not take place and you may lose your fee)
- your signed driving licence with photographic identification
- your motorcycle manoeuvres test pass certificate (for a motorcycle test)
- your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) certificate for the relevant test category (for a motorcycle manoeuvres test and an on-road motorcycle test)
- you must bring and wear a face covering for the full driving test
Further information about CBT can be found at:
If you misplace your licence, you must apply for a replacement from DVA which could take up to 15 days. If this happens, you may have to rearrange your test.
Taking someone with you on your car driving test
Due to Covid restrictions, you cannot have anyone with you in the car during your test.
The examiner will ask if you want your instructor or another person to be there at the end of the test for the result and feedback.