Hospital Travel Costs Scheme

You may get financial help from the Hospital Travel Costs Scheme if you're on a low income, need Health Service treatment at a hospital, Health Service centre or private clinic and have been under the care of a consultant.

Who can claim

You can claim hospital travel costs if you, or those you depend on, get at least one of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker's Allowance (income-based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
  • Guarantee Pension Credit

Depending on your income level you may also qualify for the scheme if you get one of the following:

  • Child Tax Credit (with or without Working Tax Credit)
  • Working Tax Credit with the disability element or severe disability element

Use the tax credit calculator to check if your income is too high for tax credits and work out what money you could get. There is no set limit for income because it depends on your circumstances and those of your partner.

If an adult or dependent child has to travel to your treatment with you for medical reasons, you can claim their travel costs too.

If a member of your family receives Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance (income-based) or Employment and Support Allowance (income-related) you will have to claim help from the Hospital Travel Costs Scheme. For Pension Credit Guarantee Credit the entitlement is automatic regardless of who in the household receives the benefit.

If you're on a low income but don't get any of these benefits or allowances, you may still claim travel costs through the Health Service Low Income Support Scheme.

How much you'll get

If you're on a relevant benefit or allowances you get back the full travel costs by using the cheapest form of public transport available, including any concessions or promotions.

This applies to however you travel. For example, if you use a private car you can claim for petrol instead (and car parking charges where unavoidable) up to the cost of the same journey by public transport.

The hospital should tell you the mileage rate for petrol costs for private transport.

If public transport is unavailable or impractical (perhaps you can't get to your appointment on time or your mobility is restricted), you'll need to contact the hospital well ahead of your appointment. They will need to check your new travel arrangements are allowed.

If you're on the Health Service Low Income Support Scheme you may get back all or some of your travel costs depending on which certificate you've been given.

How to claim

You can claim at the hospital or clinic at the time of your appointment. You'll be paid back immediately in cash, when you show any of the following:

  • proof of a qualifying benefit (such as an award notice)
  • a tax credit exemption certificate (you'll get this automatically if you qualify)
  • a certificate showing you qualify for the Health Service Low Income Support Scheme

Backdated claims

You can claim help with travel costs up to three months after your appointment if you can prove you were eligible to claim at the time. To do this, fill in a refund claim form HC5, which you can get from Health Service hospitals and Jobs and Benefits offices.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.