Free TV licences

If you're 75 or over you are entitled to a free television licence. You can also get TV licence concessions if you're registered blind or (under certain conditions) if you live in nursing or residential care or in sheltered accommodation.

The need for a TV licence

You need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or to download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand. This applies to any device and provider you use.

An over 75 TV Licence

After your 75th birthday, you can get a free TV Licence. It covers you as well as anyone you live with.

Please remember that you don’t automatically get an over 75 TV Licence on your 75th birthday. You have to apply for one.

It will make things simpler if you apply for an over 75 TV Licence after your 74th birthday. 

As a 74-year old, you can get a short-term TV Licence to cover you until your 75th birthday.  This lets you pay only for the months you have left until you turn 75.

​Accommodation for Residential Care (ARC) Concessionary TV Licence

Care home residents

You will need  a TV licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV or an online TV service, or download or watch any BBC programmes on iplayer - live, catch up or on demand, in your room, flat or bungalow. This is the case whether you use a TV, computer, mobile phone or any other device.

However, you may be able to get a concession on your licence.

Find out about the types of residential licences, if you qualify and who can apply from the TV Licensing website: 

Residential care homes and sheltered accomodation

The management of a residential care home needs to make sure the home is covered by a TV licence.

This will cover anyone who watches or records television programmes as they're being shown on TV or an online TV service, or downloads or watches any BBC programmes on iplayer - live, catch up or on demand. This includes residents, staff and guests using devices such as a TV, computer, mobile phone, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

However, the accommodation may qualify for a concessionary licence for residents.

The management of the sheltered accommodation is responsible for ensuring that a valid TV Licence covers all communal areas. Residents need a separate licence for their own living area. However, sheltered accommodation may qualify for the Accommodation for Residential Care (ARC) scheme. 

Retired or disabled

You qualify for an ARC Concessionary TV Licence if you are retired or disabled and live in eligible accommodation.  Please speak to your administrators to find out if your accommodation qualifies for this licence.

If you have any questions about the ARC Concessionary TV Licence, please contact TV Licensing:

Blind (severely sight impaired)

If you are blind (severely sight impaired) and can provide the appropriate evidence, you are eligible to apply for a 50 per cent concession. Your licence will also cover anyone who lives with you.

If you are partially sighted (sight impaired) you are not eligible.

Find out more from the TV Licensing website.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.