Compensation for criminal injuries

If you have been injured or your parent, child, husband, wife or partner has died because of a violent crime, you may be entitled to compensation.


You may be eligible if you:

  • have been injured seriously enough to qualify for at least the minimum award of £1000.00
  • were injured in an act of violence in Northern Ireland – an offender does not necessarily have to have been convicted of, or even charged with the crime
  • suffered a loss of earnings or special expenses as a result of a criminal injury
  • are making your application within two years of the incident that caused your injury

You may also be eligible to claim if your parent, child, husband, wife, or partner died as a result of a criminal injury.

Applications may still be accepted after two years if, in your particular case, it wasn’t reasonable to expect an application to be made within this time.

If you are a UK resident, but were injured outside of England, Scotland and Wales, but in another European Union (EU) country use the link below to apply for compensation.

Making a claim

You may download application forms for criminal injuries and further guidance from the links below.

You may also contact the Compensation Services Customer Information Officer on 0300 200 7887. Lines are open from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday. Application forms can be sent to your address or collected from the office at Millennium House.

Help making your claim

Compensation Services offers a free service, processing applications and making awards on criminal injuries, criminal damage and the Justice and Security Act compensation schemes.

If you want to make an application, you can do this yourself, or you can get free help and advice with the application process from Victim Support. You could also pay a solicitor to help you. You should be aware that Compensation Services cannot pay the costs of this for you in cases of criminal injury.

Decision on your claim

As soon as your application is received your details will be registered and a request will be made for a police report about the incident. You will be sent an acknowledgement letter. Once the police report is received, a caseworker will look at your claim and decide whether further information is needed, for example, medical evidence or loss of earnings details.

Each application for compensation is determined on its own merits and in keeping with the relevant legislation. When all the information needed to make a decision on your claim is received, the caseworker will assess all the material and decide whether compensation can be paid.

Appealing against a decision

If you are unhappy with the decision made by Compensation Services, you can request a review of the decision, which should be made within three months from the date of the first decision. A separate review branch within the Agency will independently re-assess your claim, and at this stage further information may be requested. You will be notified who your review caseworker is once your request for a review is received.

If you are unhappy with the review decision, you can appeal the decision to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Appeals Panel for Northern Ireland (CICAPNI), which is an independent organisation outside the remit of Compensation Services. Your appeal should be made within three months of the review decision being issued.

Reasons your compensation may be refused or reduced

Compensation Services can decide to reduce or completely refuse your compensation for the following reasons:

  • due to your behaviour before, during or after the incident in which you were injured
  • your criminal record
  • your failure to co-operate with the police, or with Compensation Services
  • your delay in informing the police, or other organisation, or person of the incident


Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback