Claiming for criminal injuries sustained from April 2009

If you have been injured or your parent, child, husband, wife or partner has died because of a violent crime from 1 April 2009, you may be entitled to compensation.


Under the 2009 criminal injuries compensation scheme, you may be entitled to claim compensation for:

  • injuries caused to you - mental or physical
  • if your parent, child, husband, wife or partner has died as a result of a criminal injury
  • loss of earnings or earning capacity – if you have been off work or incapacitated for longer than 28 weeks
  • special expenses

You may also be able to claim for loss of earnings or earning capacity, if your loved one had sustained a criminal injury but has since died due to an unrelated cause. However, you will not be able to claim if the time between their date of injury and the date of unrelated death is less than 28 weeks.

Find out more about the criminal injuries compensation scheme 2009.

Historic sexual abuse

Cases of historic sexual abuse between 11 June 1968 and 30 April 2002 may also be considered under this scheme if they would have failed under previous legislation because they were not made within the required time limit.

Cases of sexual abuse between 1 May 2002 and 31 March 2009 may be considered under the 2002 scheme.

If the incidents happened between 11 June 1968 and 30 June 1988 and the victim lived in the same household as the offender no compensation can be paid.

A guide to assist with this particular type of claim has been produced for your information.

Victims of human trafficking

If you are a victim of human trafficking or know someone who is a victim then you may be eligible for compensation under the scheme.

This information also available in several alternative language formats.

Making a claim online

You can apply for criminal injury compensation online.

As part of the online application process, you need to set up an nidirect account for which you have had your identity verified. To learn more about creating an nidirect account and to find your nearest office for identity checks, go to the link below:

To start your online application, go to the link below:

Download application forms

You can download application forms and read further guidance at the links below.

 Read the guidance notes carefully before completing the form.

Applicant is under 18 years of age

Information is also available if you are making a claim on behalf of an applicant who is under 18 years of age. A consent form must be completed, signed and returned to the Compensation Services. This is part of both the online and downloadable application forms. You can read more at the link below:

Getting help with your claim

If you need help completing your claim, you can contact Victim Support NI. They can provide you with free, independent advice.

You may also want to seek legal advice from a solicitor. You will not be able to claim back any solicitor or legal fees as part of your claim.

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.