Claiming compensation for criminal damage

If your property has been maliciously damaged, you may be entitled to compensation.


You may be entitled to compensation if there has been physical damage to your property or vehicle. The damage must have been caused:

  • unlawfully, maliciously or wantonly by an unlawful assembly of three or more people
  • by an act of terrorism
  • in Northern Ireland

For agricultural property, or property which is free from rates, you may receive compensation if the damage was caused maliciously or deliberately.

If you have an interest in property that has been damaged in any of the circumstances described above and suffer a loss of more than £200.00 because of that damage you can apply for compensation. 

For example, it would usually be the owner or landlord of a building damaged who would make a claim. However, if you're a tenant responsible for doing repairs under the terms of a lease, you would be eligible to claim compensation.

For more information, including eligibility and terms, download the guide to criminal damage compensation.

Making a claim 

You must lodge a notice of intention to apply for criminal damage compensation. You can do this online or use a form. 

You must complete and send your notice of intention within 10 days of the damage being caused to the property or vehicle.

Apply online

As part of the online application process, you need to set up an nidirect account and have your identity verified. To learn more about creating an nidirect account and to find your nearest office for identity checks, go to:

To start your notice of intention, go to:

Download a notice of intention to make a claim

You can download a notice of intention form at the link below:

Once you've completed your form, send it to Compensation Services.

Claiming loss or damage caused by the police or army

If you suffer loss or damage as a result of action by the police or army, while searching for items which may be useful to terrorist organisations, you can claim compensation from the Secretary of State.

You can do this by contacting the Protective Security and Resilience Team.

Decision on your claim

When all the information needed to make a decision on your claim is received, an assessment will be made and a decision taken on whether compensation can be paid.

If you applied online, you can check the progress of your application.

If your claim for compensation is successful, you will also be entitled to claim certain costs and expenses you paid to make your claim. This includes legal and other professional fees.

If your claim is not successful, or an agreement on the amount payable cannot be reached, you will be sent a formal Notice of Decision. 

If you're unhappy with the decision made by Compensation Services, you can appeal the decision at the County Court.

You should do this within six weeks from the date of the first decision.


Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.