Claiming for criminal injuries sustained between May 2002 and March 2009

If you suffered a criminal injury between 1 May 2002 and 31 March 2009 in Northern Ireland, you can claim for compensation from the Northern Ireland Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme 2002.


Under this scheme you may be entitled to claim compensation:

  • for mental or physical injuries caused to you
  • if your parent, child, husband, wife or partner has died as a result of a criminal injury
  • for loss of earnings or earning capacity as a result of a criminal injury
  • for special expenses

Historic sexual abuse

Cases of historic sexual abuse between 1 May 2002 and 31 March 2009 may also be considered under this scheme if they would have failed under previous legislation because they were not made within the required time limit.

The previous legislation stated that the claim has to be submitted within three years of the date of incident or, in the case of someone aged under 18 at the time of the incident, within three years of their 18th birthday.

Making a claim online

You can apply for criminal injury compensation online.

As part of the online application process, you need to set up a nidirect account and get your identity verified. To learn more about creating an nidirect account and to find your nearest office for identity checks, go to:

To start your online application, go to:

Download an application form to make a claim

You can download application forms and read further guidance at the links below. Read the guidance notes carefully before completing a form.

Apply for compensation for personal injury, whether mental or physical:

Apply for compensation if your parent, child, husband, wife or partner dies due to a criminal injury:

Apply for compensation where the victim has died, other than as a result of the injury sustained.

Compensation may be paid for loss of earnings or special expenses between the date of injury and date of death.

If the length of time between date of injury and date of unrelated injury is less than 28 weeks you will not qualify for any additional compensation. 

Applicant is under 18 years of age

Information is also available if you're making a claim on behalf of an applicant who is under 18 years of age.  A consent form must be completed, signed and returned to the Compensation Services. This is part of both the online and downloadable application forms. You can read more at the link below:

Getting help with your claim

If you need help completing your claim, you can contact Victim Support NI. They can provide free, independent advice.

You may also want to seek legal advice from a solicitor. You can't claim solicitor or legal fees.


Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.