Change address on your driving licence online

This page allows you to change your address on your Northern Ireland driving licence online.

Before you start

This online service may be unavailable at times between 6.00 am and 7.00 pm on Sunday 23 June.  Apologies for any

This online service is only available to Northern Ireland driving licence holders. If you are the holder of a foreign driving licence, you may be able to exchange your licence for a Northern Ireland licence.

You must let the DVA know if your address changes as it will mean that your records are up to date and therefore future driving licence reminders will be sent to the right address.

You can only change your address if you are still resident in Northern Ireland.

To apply online to change your address you will need:

  • a credit or debit card (if payment is needed)
  • a valid email address
  • a printer
  • your Northern Ireland driving licence number and expiry date (date it runs out on)- both can be found on the plastic card part of your driving licence – ‘5’ is the driving licence number and  ‘4b’ the expiry date

When changing your address you will need to:-

  • send both parts of your driving licence (a plastic photocard and a paper part which is known as the paper counterpart) to DVA

If you are unable to return both parts of your driving licence you must give a reason why.  In this case, you will need to pay for a replacement licence.  If your licence is due to expire within the next 12 months you can consider applying to renew it now instead of replacing it. Either way costs the same.

If your licence has expired or is within two months of expiring you cannot apply to change your address.  You must apply to renew your driving licence. 

You can find out how any personal information you submit to the Department for Infrastructure (Driver & Vehicle Agency) when using this service will be handled by viewing their privacy notice

Although you can change your address online you cannot change your name online.  If your name has changed from that on your existing licence you must fill in and return a driving licence application form (DL1* or DL2* if you have a lorry or bus driving licence)  together with the right identity documents.

*DL1 and DL2 forms are available from Post Offices, DVA Test Centres and the DVA Local Office in Coleraine.


Change your address online

Additional information

This is a new beta service. To find out more about what beta means and how your feedback can help improve the service, visit:

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.