Support to stay in your own home

If you want to live as independently as possible, you may need support to stay in your own home. The health and social care trust in your area can provide services to help you.

Health and social care assessments

A range of support is available. For example, you might need help with cleaning, or you may find it useful if you had a bath rail fitted. You may be entitled to financial help to maintain your own home. To find out what sort of help you could get, the local trust will assess your health and social care needs. It is important to tell the health and social care trust what will make your everyday life easier.

You may also be entitled to 'direct payments'. These are trust payments available for anyone who has been assessed as needing social care, and who would like to buy services instead of receiving the trust's services. For example, direct payments could be used to pay a home help.

Nominating a helper to collect benefits or a pension

There may be a time in your life when you can manage your finances but it becomes harder to get to the post office or bank to receive your pension or other benefits. If that's the case, you can nominate a trusted friend or relative to help.

Health and social care assessments in your local area

You can find out about health and social care assessments in your area.

Care in your own home

Care in your own home is offered to people who require help with personal care like washing or dressing, or help with other daily  domestic tasks such as cooking and cleaning, or help in managing finances.

Help with heating your home

If you need help to pay for heating or improving insulation in your home, you may be able to get money from a government grant scheme.

Making your home easier to live in

Your home might be easier to live in and safer by making adaptations such as:

  • adding hand rails
  • installing a draught excluder
  • adding bath hoists

You can get advice from your local trust and sometimes receive financial help to alter your home.

Employing a carer or personal assistant

If you need a care worker to help you live independently at home, you may get one through your local trust or a home care agency or you may employ someone directly.

Shopping and home deliveries

If shopping is difficult at times, you might want to consider internet shopping. Some supermarkets and shops deliver shopping to your door.

Meals at home services

Hot, and sometimes frozen, meals can be delivered to your home if your health means you have problems cooking. This service is sometimes called 'meals on wheels'.

The health and social care trust in your area may offer you a 'meals at home' service when they assess your needs.

Telephone support service

Good Morning is a free, community based telephone support service for older and vulnerable people, supporting them to stay independent in their own homes.

It provides daily phone calls, alerting others if a call is not answered. This provides service users and their families with peace of mind.

In addition, the service provides telephone support, enabling users to share worries and concerns and connecting them with local community activities and services.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.