Support when you can't stay in your own home

If you want to live independently but can't stay in your own home, you may need support. It may be because of declining health, a change in circumstances, or that friends, family and social services can no longer respond to your needs.

Your local Social Services can help

Your local social services department can tell you about services such as supported or sheltered housing, extra care housing and residential care.

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing properties are generally built for older people and/or people with disabilities. The accommodation is usually self-contained flats or bungalows. They often have an alarm-call system and a warden who visits regularly or lives on the premises.

Sheltered housing that offers a greater level of care - known as 'extra care sheltered housing' or 'very sheltered housing' - is also available. It can be ideal for people who are less able to manage on their own, but who do not need the level of care available in a care home.

Care homes

If you need a level of support that cannot be provided in your own home, then a care home may be the answer. There are different types of care homes. Some offer no nursing care, some have full-time nursing care, while others support people with a specific disability or medical need.

Extra care housing

Extra care housing provides independence and choice by providing older, frailer people with their own property. Care and support are delivered to meet your individual needs. Extra care housing provides 24-hour support, meals, domestic help, leisure and recreational facilities and a genuinely safe environment. Older people in extra care housing have their own self-contained flats and are tenants with their own tenancy agreement.

Extra care housing can be for rent or for sale, usually through leasehold arrangement.

Charities and not-for-profit organisations

National and local charities and other not-for-profit organisations can be a useful source of help, advice and support for older people and their carers. They can also help you to continue living independently in your own home.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.