Housing Executive and housing association evictions

If you're a tenant in social housing, you should discuss any tenancy or rent arrears problems with your landlord. A social housing landlord can apply to the courts to repossess a property and evict you when you ignore their letters or visits.

Reasons for eviction

The most common reason for eviction is not paying the rent. It is possible for a tenant to be evicted if they break a condition in their tenancy agreement. To evict you, the landlord needs a possession order from court.

Possession order

When a court grants a possession order, you can only apply to the court to change the terms of that order or to suspend the eviction.

If you are facing a possession order, you need independent legal advice. You can  get free advice from Advice NI. You can also pay a solicitor for their advice.

Stopping the eviction

If you're threatened with eviction, the earlier you take action or get advice the better. It is more difficult to make agreements at a late stage.

You may apply for the possession order to be suspended. The court will look again at your case but may not agree to alter the decision.

If you have problems paying your rent:

  • speak to your landlord
  • get advice
  • make regular payments, including small amounts

When a tenant is evicted

If you are evicted, you will need alternative accommodation for yourself and anyone living with you.

Ifyour landlord evicts you because you didn't pay the rent, it is likely you will be considered  as making yourself intentionally homeless. The Housing Executive will assess your circumstances. They might give you temporary housing  while you wait for a decision about your homelessness. 

Housing information in other languages

To read informationabout housing rights of EEA nationals in Northern Ireland, go to:

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.