Adapting your home

If you need improvements and adaptations to your home so you can continue to live there independently, you may qualify for help.

Disabled Facilities Grants

A Disabled Facilities Grant is provided by the Housing Executive to help improve your home if you have a disability. An occupational therapist will assess what adaptations are suitable to meet your needs.

Owner-occupiers, landlords or private tenants can get help to carry out adaptations, providing there is a person with a disability living in the house.

Allowance Scheme for people with disabilities

The Disabled Person's Allowance Scheme can reduce domestic rates bills for properties designed or adapted for people with disabilities to live there.

Supporting People programme

Supporting People is a government programme that provides housing-related support to help vulnerable people live as independently as possible in the community. It applies to people who live in their own homes or in supported housing. 

Planning permission and building regulations

It's important to get planning permission and find out about building regulations before you begin any major building alterations.

You can find out more about applying for planning permission and building regulations from your local council.

Choosing tradespeople and builders

If you decide to hire a tradesperson or builder yourself, it's important to choose someone who operates legally and is qualified for the job.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.