Adaptations to a Housing Executive property

Sometimes the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE) needs to make improvements or alterations to a property to suit the needs of the person or people who live there.

Types of adaptation

Housing adaptations for people with a disability are classified into two categories, Major and Minor Adaptations.

Minor adaptations which don't need a referral

The Housing Executive is responsible for directly carrying out certain minor adaptations which do not require referral to an Occupational Therapist.

Minor adaptations which need a referral

There are other minor adaptations which require referral to an Occupational Therapist for an assessment of your needs.

Major adaptations

The Housing Executive is also responsible for carrying out certain major adaptations to tenants homes.

Change of heating

Northern Ireland Housing Executive is directly responsible for the assessing requests for a change of heating to tenants homes.

If you require an adaptation which is not listed, and you need details of how to acquire this type of work, please contact your local district office:

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback