Types of adaptation
Housing adaptations for people with a disability are classified into two categories, Major and Minor Adaptations.
Minor adaptations which don't need a referral
The Housing Executive is responsible for directly carrying out certain minor adaptations which do not require referral to an Occupational Therapist.
- Examples of minor adaptation work which don't need a referral - NIHE website
- Applying for a minor adaptation without a referral - NIHE website
Minor adaptations which need a referral
There are other minor adaptations which require referral to an Occupational Therapist for an assessment of your needs.
- Minor adaptations which need a referral - NIHE website
- Applying for a minor adaptation with a referral - NIHE website
- Health and Social Care Trusts
The Housing Executive is also responsible for carrying out certain major adaptations to tenants homes.
Change of heating
Northern Ireland Housing Executive is directly responsible for the assessing requests for a change of heating to tenants homes.
If you require an adaptation which is not listed, and you need details of how to acquire this type of work, please contact your local district office: